Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one of these fitted today along with polybushed upper wishbones ( thanks once again Loz and Paul at Autolusso south..:thumbu p:)

the drive back is A31, M3 and some nice B roads Guildford way so iI felt I had the oppurtunity to evaluate my latest addition..!

first of all I ould say if you have a standard 150 and drive in a sedate fashion there is absolutely no point in doing this Mod other than to dress the engine bay, however if you track the car or have a slightly more spirited driving style (of course as and when conditions and traffic allows ) then this may be worth doing if you are looking for another 10-15% when pushing on ....bear in mind I have bilstien B12 suspension with eibach pro springs and an eibach ARB kit front and back, quaife,and hybrid turbo, car is pushing around 250 BHP with about 600nm.

so the first and most obvious improvement is in cornering ,I already have the Quaife so understeer is at a minimum to begin with, now however it appears it is all but completely gone, overall the steering feels more ''connected'' and responsive.

the car has 115k on it now so I imagine there would have been a small degree of chassis flex creeping in although the eibach ARB's I already have will have helped but I think the addition of the strut brace has really tightened things up..!

it's subtle but absolutely not imagined, even in a straight line the car feels more grounded, again subtle but not imagined.

so in conclusion definitely a worthy mod if you are looking for that last % of tightness and feel from a car that you are already happy with. in order of what to do first I think ARB's and suspension are ahead of a brace but if you can find a used one cheap (thanks Ben..!) then I can recommend it as a mod worth doing, even on our double wishbone set up

for those of you that may think the polybushes have a small effect as well, the uppers were less than a year old and I only changed them to combine labour and because they were squeaking like an old mattress, they had zero play as proved by a recent MOT where they were thoroughly checked before going in.

the improvements are 90% strut brace with maybe a small bit from the new bushes.

hope this helps anyone who is considering it as a mod in the future..:thumbu p:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I found a strut brace helped from cornering transition. The car changed direction faster and tighter.

Downside was that when one bump was felt on the one side. It rattled through to the other.
So fast bumps such as small drains on the inside of a corner could be felt through the car rather than being absorbed.

Pro's and Con's really.

Also I imagine if you had a side impact over the front of the nose of the car it would bend the opposite side. My bar was an OMP steel one so doubt it would have flexed that much...

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a strut brace helped from cornering transition. The car changed direction faster and tighter.

Downside was that when one bump was felt on the one side. It rattled through to the other.
So fast bumps such as small drains on the inside of a corner could be felt through the car rather than being absorbed.

Pro's and Con's really.

Also I imagine if you had a side impact over the front of the nose of the car it would bend the opposite side. My bar was an OMP steel one so doubt it would have flexed that much...
Haven't noticed any of the downsides as of yet scotty, or at least they didn't jump out on me anyway..off to london tomorrow so crap roads abound,we'll see then if I notice any negatives.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Thanks for posting but I am always dubious of reviews when other work was done at the same time. How can you be sure that the polybush didn't contribute to most of the improvements?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting but I am always dubious of reviews when other work was done at the same time. How can you be sure that the polybush didn't contribute to most of the improvements?

did you read my post..?

I thought I had covered that...the wishbones were less than a year old and the original rubber bushes had zero play, they were just creakey so the option was to remove , re -grease and put back or swap to the poly's whilst they were out. ...could have done 30k more with them ..!

I had already bought the poly's so it made sense to do it whilst fitting the strut brace..I did state that the bushes may have had some effect but having had lots of suspension work done over the last 18 months and also having polybushed previous cars and mycurrent GTV as well as the GT now, I know the difference between ''fresh suspension feel'' and a new handling characteristic.

this is definitley the latter, but as stated its subtle, that said I would not now take the brace off!

not for everyone this mod as its only worth doing as the very last thing but it does make an admittedly small but noticable difference.

you pays your money and makes your choice..:thumbu p:

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
did you read my post..?

I thought I had covered that...the wishbones were less than a year old and the original rubber bushes had zero play, they were just creakey so the option was to remove , re -grease and put back or swap to the poly's whilst they were out. ...could have done 30k more with them ..!

I had already bought the poly's so it made sense to do it whilst fitting the strut brace..I did state that the bushes may have had some effect but having had lots of suspension work done over the last 18 months and also having polybushed previous cars and mycurrent GTV as well as the GT now, I know the difference between ''fresh suspension feel'' and a new handling characteristic.

this is definitley the latter, but as stated its subtle, that said I would not now take the brace off!

not for everyone this mod as its only worth doing as the very last thing but it does make an admittedly small but noticable difference.

you pays your money and makes your choice..:thumbu p:

My point wasn't implying that the old bushes were worn out, PU is stiffer than rubber so they will have a positive effect.

That said, the extra chassis stiffness of a strutbrace is a good thing on the GT and is top of my wish list. I am also exploring other chassis stiffening options for the GT as I think it would benefit. (including a center tunnel brace).

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
My point wasn't implying that the old bushes were worn out, PU is stiffer than rubber so they will have a positive effect.

That said, the extra chassis stiffness of a strutbrace is a good thing on the GT and is top of my wish list. I am also exploring other chassis stiffening options for the GT as I think it would benefit. (including a center tunnel brace).
Looked into the floor bracing plates from the 156 GTA?

I believe they bolt straight on to the GT, fairly cheap too!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The 3.2 GT has the same floor braces as the GTAs. It's the same parts on all the 3.2 engined cars (excluding 166 and GTV phase 3).

Part numbers 46756286 and 60673019 I believe.

I don't know if the floor pans of the non 3.2 cars have the right holes to bolt those reinforcing plates on, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts