Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a Novitec rear difuser/spoiler about a year ago but since I was never sure which colour to paint it, I never stuck it on ! Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Novitec Heckschürzenansatz Novitec Heckschürzenansatz 21158-21159

Last week I met chricol and in his opinion he said it should be painted black. I think he is right. What do you guys think ? Looking at the pic in the link above , red does look sexy (my G is red)

Now if i go for black, should it be matt or satin ? And what about texture , are there paints that give that rough plastic look ?

Thanks all

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like smooth gloss black too and it would look good when first sprayed. But, reflecting where the panel is situated on the vehicle, it will be high maintenance and hard to keep looking good. So bear that in mind before proceeding.

Personally, I would go for a lightly textured look (use a product like Flextex VT to create the texture - it comes in different grades) and follow it up with a (satin) black bumper/cladding colour coat to match the other black plastic on the vehicle. You'll get a lightly textured satin surface that will be easier to detail and maintain.

A good panel shop can do this for you but not impossible to DIY.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol more confused than ever now! I think Ill go for satin black, slightly textured as PaulLeron mentioned and if I don't like Ill then paint it red !

Ill wait for more opinions as see what the majority suggest, meawhile thanks a million !

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
It has to match the rest of the car.

If you have a gloss black roof, mirrors and wheels etc... it would have to be gloss black.

If you have none of the above.. satin black or carbon fibre plasti-dip.. :)

Don't texture it. :tut: It's a diffuser... It's supposed to accelerate air-flow off the back of the bumper, even if it's not a real one... so it has to be smooth for minimum drag. Most "authentic" is a carbon fibre appearance.

On the other hand, if you've already tinted your headlamp lenses dark blue, have Lexus rear lights and subscribe to Max Chav magazine... then textured and matt black wouldn't be the biggest problem.. :lol:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roof is glass as there its a panoramic sunroof. Wheels are turbine which I would say are satin.

Carbon fibre plastic dip would be cool but not sure if its done in Malta.

Chricol do you know if plastic dip is done in Malta ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Plastidip is availiable for sure and i know a guy who does it. However i think that only solid colours are possible with plastidip. For carbon look you would need a technique called hydrodipping but it's availiable as well.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I do not advice plastidip on car parts.. Its a weak material and easy to snick/ notch ( whatever you call in english).. :lol:

·
Registered
39,116 Posts
Snick/notch ?
I've got all their albums .

Yes the plastikote stuff is a temporary finish as far as I can tell. Plastic mouldings are usually grained to disguise sink marks from features on the back surface but the novitec part is a GRP part?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No disrespect, but if you're speaking from experience then you're doing it wrong.

Have a look on YouTube for the videos of plasti dipped cars being scrubbed, pressure washed etc, its astounding stuff.
ill second that, ive had my grille plastidiped for 9 months or so and ive got 1 stone chip, which i dont think is too bad. i jet wash it and never had any problems with the finish.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts