Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they like?
A brand new set has popped up forpsale cheap. It says they are 45mm
I know they will eventually wear out the shocks faster than normal but how do they effect the feel and handling of the car?

I used to have a suzuki swift on lowering springs years ago but i cant remember what its like.
My caddy is fairly low :) so Im well used to low cars, just want to know how the alfas take to it really.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
It'll drop the height sure. it'll make the ride stiffer. The shocks will wear quicker.
It will reduce roll, reduce height, increase more negative camber, increase lower centre of gravity.
Decrease comfort, decrease shock life.

Pretty basic stuff really. Springs are okay if you just want to decrease height. But that's about it.
If the springs are pretty worn anyway changing them for new will improve things anyway.

But ideally you want springs and shocks to match.
But I am sure you know this already.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i think of it. Im not sure why i asked because i did know all the things youve mentioned. Ive had lowering springs, coilovers and air in cars. I think the only thing im debating in my head is comfort. They are a stiff enough car as it is. Also, i find the front bumper very low on the 156, ive scratched it a few times already. Ill have to learn how to drive low again, even if it is only 40ish mm.
Might just get them because I want a set of gtv 17 teledials and I think they will look better if slightly lowered.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The 147 / 156 (Sports pack) and GT are all quite low. My 147 looks like its on stilts on 17's.
But can't bring my self to just change the springs. Rather do the lot as one item all round. Least of all because it would be quicker to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have them on my alfa 147 "04
They lower the car with 35mm and for me the comfort is still the same.

Still driving with the "15 steel wheels. Recently changed the seats to leather and the car comfort is much higher is it was before. Also changed the 147 GTA stabilizer. So the car now goes really tight in the corners!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have the momo leather seats so maybe thats enough comfort for me :)
Might just get them and be done with it. Ill have to dig out my spring clamps

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im just thinking. Im about 99% sure my car is a veloce . Which means it will have the sport suspension. The car is fairly stiff. Will the veloce dampers be better with the novitec springs than standard dampers. If my car does have the veloce suspension, does that mean I wont get the claimed 40 odd mm drop?
How do I tell for sure that I do have the veloce suspension.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I would never tired to repeat that XX, mm lower springs would never mean same XX, mm body lowering.
It means that XX, mm lower spring is just shorter conventional ones with this XX, mm only.
Nobody knows upfront how it would behave at any particular car.
For your car spec you should check EPER with your VIN code.
Your case I would replace dampers as well together. Latest 156-ers are from 2005 production. Sure they are already not good enough especially suspected to be still ex factory ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts