Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Nothing happens when i turn the key GT 1.9JTD

236 14
Hey guys , i have encountered a weird problem today, it was raining the whole day and i have left my car outside, when i wanted to go out ot grab some food , i was in shock , i turned they key , the lights got on everything seemed fine until i tried to start the car....Nothing, no starter sound no clicking like when the battery is dead, nothing like there was no starter on the car... With the help of my neighbor i push started the car and it quickly started, drove around angrily with high RPMs and shut the engine off (i know it was dumb to raise the RPMs in a cold engine, i never do that but was quite depressed when i realized that there is a problem again), to my surprise the car starts again without ANY problems. What was causing it the first time, was it the rainy weather ? Or is my starter dying , or was it just stuck? Should i worry?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Since you got no sound at all from it it’s quite likely that the brushes are jamming in their holders and not contacting the commutator (the solenoid current passes through the motor, the idea being that the motor turns slowly to help gear engagement). Simply cleaning the brush holders and commutator might fix it. I don’t know what starter motor you have, some are easier to get apart than others but I would try that before condemning the starter. Obviously check the external connections first, if not already done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you got no sound at all from it it’s quite likely that the brushes are jamming in their holders and not contacting the commutator (the solenoid current passes through the motor, the idea being that the motor turns slowly to help gear engagement). Simply cleaning the brush holders and commutator might fix it. I don’t know what starter motor you have, some are easier to get apart than others but I would try that before condemning the starter. Obviously check the external connections first, if not already done.
Hey i listened to your advice and took the starter off dissasembled it and guess what, the brushes are totally gone, will lok to get new ones tomorrow and try it

·
Registered
977 Posts
What state is the commutator in? Quite a lot of scoring is tolerable but the insulators between the conductors must be recessed below the conductors. They can be cut back if necessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts