Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember but a few months ago my diff went and I got a new gear box etc through a warranty.

I have only done 600 miles in the last couple of months but since getting it back the gearbox has been really notchy when cold. It limbers up when warm although still isnt as nice as my old box.

Going from 2nd to 3rd it sometimes feels like it is catching the gear as if i havent got the clutch down properly.

I just want to check whether this is down to the box being relativly new with new oil or whether something needs adjusting. Your help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You may remember but a few months ago my diff went and I got a new gear box etc through a warranty.

I have only done 600 miles in the last couple of months but since getting it back the gearbox has been really notchy when cold. It limbers up when warm although still isnt as nice as my old box.

Going from 2nd to 3rd it sometimes feels like it is catching the gear as if i havent got the clutch down properly.

I just want to check whether this is down to the box being relativly new with new oil or whether something needs adjusting. Your help is appreciated :)
sounds like the clutch slave cyclinder maybe leaking and cuasing the clutch not to engage properly.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine does this occasionally when it's cold and the car's done about 45k (ie not a new gear box at all). I've been working on the assumption that it's just generally grumpy when cold but I was going to get the clutch cylinders looked at on the next service to be sure.

Would be interested to hear what the diagnosis for yours is though.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Mine does exactly the same when cold, there's a slight crunch when going from 2nd to third it doesn't happen if I idle in neutral for a split then change into 3rd.

Somewhat worringly I have developed a grumbly rumble, sounds (and feels like through the steering wheel) that a bearing somewhere is not a happy bunny :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Mine is exactly the same and mine is coming up to 600 miles too, bit freaky that, seems to crunch a little going into 3rd from 2nd but no problems going down the box, probably a syncro sleeve not happy on my box which is not a replacement.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I might drop Monza Sport an email just so they are aware of the problem. I don't particularly want to make the trip up there but if they want to take a look then I will take it up.

If not I will just put up with it and wait and see wat happens.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Mine was really notchy. I then happened to accidently get air into the clutch line whilst I was doing my brakes (Clutch stayed flat).
As I bled the slave cylinder there was air follwed by some very manky brake fluid. I continued to bleed up until clear fluid came out. As a result the clutch now works and the car goes into first much easier now!

Still a bit notchy bit It was quite hard to get in at all sometimes, before it was bled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The notchy gearbox (once the leaking slave cylinder is eliminated) is generally down to poor performing synchros. The ones on the GTA box (and many alfas) are usually made of chocolate and were never very smooth to start with. They can be improved a bit by using the highest quality gearbox oil.
A way to say if its a dodgy synchro or not is if when you change gear between your problem ratios, from say 3rd to 4th, if you hold the stick a bit back from 4th as you change, i.e. pull the stick back and dont quite engage 4th, just lean on it, after a brief moment it should slip into gear nicely - basically the synchro ring catches up to speed and lets you change nicely. If the fault is due to another reason, then it will probably always be notchy even if you do the above.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Mine was only ever notchy when cold... warmed up and it was like silk.

OA

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great thread. I have a similar problem to MPH. I only have a problem getting into 1st especially on a really cold day. Ive changed my gear oil to redline and it feels a bit better but problem is still there. Is it worth taking the time out to bleed the clutch or is it likely just wear and tear? It is only 1st the rest are smoth as silk so surely if the clutch needed bleeding Id get the problem all of the time, right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Clutch bleed - Well I had a go at it. Just want to check something. This is the way I bled it. Pumped pedal then held to the floor, opened the nipple and let the oil/air out then once the clutch cylinder had closed fuly I cloded the nipple. The pedal didnt return so we had to manually pull the pedal back(Is that normal). Kep on repeating it and got a bit of air out and loads of black crappy oil. Kept doing it until clear fluid came through. Took out about half a cup full is that about right

1 - 12 of 12 Posts