Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia 2.2JTD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After giving the Giulia a clean at the weekend, it seems that it’s developing the Giulna roof-joint rust clan. The paint isn’t broken, so it’s coming from the inside. Unfortunately our local Alfa body shop is still closed (may be opening next week, so.....), but it’s certainly not what I expect on a car that’s just three years old. Are they made from recycled Alfa Suds?

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
There’s already a thread on this. I’ll try to find it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
After giving the Giulia a clean at the weekend, it seems that it’s developing the Giulna roof-joint rust clan. The paint isn’t broken, so it’s coming from the inside. Unfortunately our local Alfa body shop is still closed (may be opening next week, so.....), but it’s certainly not what I expect on a car that’s just three years old. Are they made from recycled Alfa Suds?
As far as I remember, the warranty covers these kind of issues for a long period (5+ yeasrs maybe)

·
Registered
2018 Giulia 2.2JTD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. To me, as it’s coming from the inside out (not stone damage etc), as Deman77 says, the warranty is eight years. Normal paint defects are (on our car) three years. I’ll see what happens when I can get to the body shop and then Alfa’s response.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
As I’ve suggested before the Ecoat on the bodyside at the roofjoint must get damaged when the roof is fitted. Will repainting get rid of the contact that’s causing the corrosion between the steel parts?

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
412 Posts
Are both of the steel Q? I thought it was aluminium v steel like the steel valve caps fusing onto the aluminium valves.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
The roof and body sides are steel. The wings and doors are aluminium on the Giulia with the addition of the tailgate on the Stelvio. If you watch the body going through the factory on the video it appears possible for a steel roof to damage the protective electrocoating in the trough part of the bodyside roofjoint. Obviously , the alternative carbon roof or sunroof module are less likely to cause this damage.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I used to make mixing consoles for Solid State Logic in Oxford and every steel part 40 years ago was coated in cadmium to prevent galvanic corrosion with the aluminium part. I would have thought Alfa, given their previous metallurgic history would have known this phenomenom?

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
“Hood, front fenders and doors are aluminium. Every other body panel is steel (hood and roof on the Quadrifoglio are CF, everything else stays the same). Both the trunk lid and the roof are ordinary LSS (Low Strength Steel).

As for the underbody, the front suspension turrets are cast aluminium, the front bumper beam is a mix of stamped and extruded aluminium, and the upper transverse beam is stamped aluminium. Everything else is steel of various kinds.”

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, I know this figure, it's from a 2018 thread from Giuliaforums. Somebody made a CAD model out of enthusiasm. Not sure about its authenticity.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,845 Posts
Yes, I know this figure, it's from a 2018 thread from Giuliaforums. Somebody made a CAD model out of enthusiasm. Not sure about its authenticity.
It was posted by MacGeek on there who has inside Alfa knowledge, it was not a model made by someone but from an inside source. The model is accurate for a standard Giulia with the exception of Carbon Roof for the QF.

Reactions: cue2

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,845 Posts
Both parts are steel.
Exactly. This is not galvanic corrosion and doesn't look like it from the appearance of the corrosion products. What you say about the likelihood of the electrocoating damage seems the most plausible explanation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts