Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On start up the ABS light doesn't always go out on my 94 2.0TS 8v. I've tested the brakes when the light stays on and there is definitely no ABS (although I produced some pretty impressive skid marks). Normally, if you give it a blip the throttle and then stop and restart the engine the light goes off and the ABS works again (hence the "not very worrying" aspect). It generally happens first thing in the morning, or when I have left the car for more than an hour.

The battery is only 3 months old, so it should have plenty of charge and I've turned the alarm off so there shouldnt be much overnight power drain, so I dont think this is the likely cause. It even happened the morning after a 400 mile journey to London and back when I know the battery must have been fine. I seems like it could be affected by the weather (more common if its colder/wetter).

Whatever you do the light will not go out unless you stop and restart the engine, I've driven it for over 100 miles with the light on, and it never goes out. It seems like if it doesnt "boot up" properly on start up it just fails to work.

Does this happen on anyone elses? Anyone suggest any possible cause? Connectors to clean? etc.

Im not really bothered by it, but I'd rather it wasn't happening.

Cheers

Rob

W

·
0 Posts
There is a link between the ABS and light and the n/s rear brake light...don't laugh, I'm serious! Might be worth checking the connections are sound.

If the rear light is out the ABS warning lights up and you have no ABS. Other than that I guess either another electrical connection at the wheel end or the sensor at the wheels.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Also check the wiring to the bootlid, usually a nasty case of chafing in the grommet :eek:

wrinx

·
Administrator
46,117 Posts
I had that once but the doctor gave me a cream and it cleared right up.

·
Administrator
46,117 Posts
Er ... what? :confused:
Oh ... I think I got my forums mixed up there ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts