Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a high mileage rolling project 159 ti 2.0D. I have sorted out various running issues, leaking injectors, bad earth (under battery) and thought I had done enough to sort out the DPF, wrong! The DPF was showing on dash as clogged, I have registered multiecu software and tried a forced regen but it would not do it. I then removed the DPF and had it cleaned (it wasn't that bad and I think original dash fault was due to a bad earth) I replaced the DPF with new sensors on DPF and EGT, for good measure I changed the Differential sensor too and checked the feed hoses for it were ok..
With it all refitted the software still does not seem able to force a regen, it goes through the process, revving up etc but the progress never moves % and the DPF temp does not get much above 400 degrees. I have ran out of ideas/knowledge and want to know what I am missing or where to look next?
Is it the ECU at fault? is it wiring? cheap ebay sensors? I look forward to any advice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why are you trying to force a regen?
Dashboard DPF light usualy means that 3 last regenerations have been interrupted by stopping the engine. One longer run should sort it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are there any fault codes stored in the engine ECU? What is the DPF status? MES should show if its clogged, broken etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you trying to force a regen?
Dashboard DPF light usualy means that 3 last regenerations have been interrupted by stopping the engine. One longer run should sort it out.
Hi, its never regened at all and that led to cleaning the DPF off the car. Part of fitting a new one with the software is it runs a regen but it just does not manage it. I drove the car 350 miles when I bought it, no sign of regen. I thought the conditions were not being met but I have now cleaned the DPF, checked the rubber hoses and replaced all the sensors, still wont regen normally or when forced. Wish I had deleted it!
I suspect the ecu or maybe a wiring fault - no codes in ecu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any fault codes stored in the engine ECU? What is the DPF status? MES should show if its clogged, broken etc.
Hi, never been any codes in ecu. on MES DPF now shows normal clogging but has built up to 105 % without regening, even when I try to force. Originally the dash warning of blocked filter was coming on loads but when I sorted out the bad earth and cleaned all the fuses/relays that was solved and the running improved greatly. Because its not regening, my newly cleaned DPF is just clogging up again.
Ran out of things to try, any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds very strange to me, I have never heard about 2.0JTDM not regenning at all. It should trigger regen between 80 and 120% from what I have heard. So 105% should be still fine. It depends on driving conditions etc.
What is the DPF regen count in ECU and differential pressure on idle?
What about the parameters about last regen? Duration, temperature, miles from last regen..

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Mine to...in fact it did tonight with the yellow fuel light on. It also seems to be linked to GPS or Google maps....as no matter how far i drive it usually starts a regen about a mile from home!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds very strange to me, I have never heard about 2.0JTDM not regenning at all. It should trigger regen between 80 and 120% from what I have heard. So 105% should be still fine. It depends on driving conditions etc.
What is the DPF regen count in ECU and differential pressure on idle?
What about the parameters about last regen? Duration, temperature, miles from last regen..
Yip, I know! Since I got it the car just wont regen which led me to try the forced regen then clean the DPF and fit new sensors, nothing has changed, it still wont regen either way. I didn't pay attention to the parameters before I cleaned the DPF and when I refitted I did the mems procedure which accepted the new DPF and zeroed count but still could not complete the regen. Regen count now shows about 4 which is just my attempts since fitting. The pressure on idle is low (will have a look at) cant remember exactly.
Obviously if I continue to use the car as is, the DPF will just clog.
I am now thinking the new sensors might be rubbish and that there may be a wiring or ECU problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts