Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car always used to start pretty much instantly, but over the last week or 2 the cranking time is getting longer :( Once the car is warm though it does start as it always did.

The battery is only a few months old, so it can't be that. So I presume it must be the glow plugs ... any other options???

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glow plug flashing ? you getting error code p0380 in codes ? can be battery if its getting on a bit or starter motor

The glow plug light goes out within a second (as normal) ... if it was the starter motor would it make a difference if the car was warm?

I'm not going to even comment on your battery commment :p (re-read the OP)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The glow plug light goes out within a second (as normal) ... if it was the starter motor would it make a difference if the car was warm?

I'm not going to even comment on your battery commment :p (re-read the OP)
never rule out anything chris .check your earths are sound

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done some more diagnostic on the car with FES ... it has been sitting on my drive for about a day and a half without being started ...

Before starting the car the battery was 12v, on first start it struggled to start, once it was running the battery was just short of 14v so the alternator would seem to be ok.

I stopped the car almost immediately and then restarted it and it stuggled again (slightly more so due to the battery being flattened from the just start)

I left the car running for a few minutes to get it slightly warmed up (to 40 deg) to a temperature where the glow plugs aren't active and the car started straight away.

One other thing though, the "water in fuel" indication from FES read "on" and "water in fuel (2)" read "present" (perhaps the otherway round) although there wasn't a light on the dash???

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
L

·
0 Posts
its low, should be 12.4 , bring the car back to where you got the battery, get them to test it & replace it if its bad.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its low, should be 12.4 , bring the car back to where you got the battery, get them to test it & replace it if its bad.

I'm a bit gutted because this was a replacement of my last battery that I managed to just get it replaced within the last month of the original 3 year warranty, and unfortunately you don't get a new warranty with a replacement under warranty :(

So looks like I didn't get away with it (they probably found some shitty battery that had been kicking round in a warehouse for years) ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got the new battery in and it does seem to be starting a bit better, although I'm still not convinced it is as good as it's always been but that could just be the cold damp weather we're having. Although interestingly the new battery is bigger than the old one do either they ripped me off with the replacement or I've had the wrong battery in for years!!!! It's just a shame that I've lost the paper work

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It usually generates an error light on the dash, the glowplug light flashes 30 times.
There are no error codes and the glow plug light goes off just the same as it always has, I'm probably just being picky as it doesn't actually struggle with the new battery it's probably just my Rose tinted glasses playing up!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the correct one is 74Ah and 680A starting power
The one I took off was 72ah and 680 starting, so a tiny bit underspec'd, the new One is 77ah and over 700 starting power

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I can (almost) conclusivly state that it isn't the battery as the new one was pretty much dead last night (after not using the car for a couple of days), therefore I must have a "leak" in power somewhere causing the battery to discharge when the car isn't running.

I've unplugged my carputer as an experiment, so I'll see if that is the problem ... otherwise I'm going to have to get the multimeter out and measure the current when the car is stopped.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts