Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently brought a GT after years of wanting one. Got one at a cheap price and to cut a long story short...... it's got some issues!!!
I'm sure I'll post loads of questions up for you knowledgeable lot but I have a couple of burning questions on my mind!
I've been told that both the cowlings for my intercooler and oil cooler are shot to pieces.
I'm going to use this opportunity to go for a fmic and possibly a better oil cooler. The question is other that jtd performance and autolusso's what would be ones/sizes to look for?
Is a 19 row oil cooler to big?
Is there a kit on flea bay worth looking into. Currently trying to keep cost down a little as I plan on a cam belt as well soon (car came with no history at all!!! - got to love an impulse buy lol)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The one issue you may face is fitting on the original equipment, the oil pipe/unions are bolted onto the cooler and filter with allen head bolts. You'll probably have to replace the pipes and oil filter housing to suit a new cooler with screw on fittings, so one of the kits may be the way to go. Probably best going for the biggest cooler that you can fit into the space you have...

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
So I recently brought a GT after years of wanting one. Got one at a cheap price and to cut a long story short...... it's got some issues!!!
I'm sure I'll post loads of questions up for you knowledgeable lot but I have a couple of burning questions on my mind!
I've been told that both the cowlings for my intercooler and oil cooler are shot to pieces.
I'm going to use this opportunity to go for a fmic and possibly a better oil cooler. The question is other that jtd performance and autolusso's what would be ones/sizes to look for?
Is a 19 row oil cooler to big?
Is there a kit on flea bay worth looking into. Currently trying to keep cost down a little as I plan on a cam belt as well soon (car came with no history at all!!! - got to love an impulse buy lol)
hiya.. nope you can squeeze a 19 row cooler in.. think autolusso offer this as a option. as above the pipes are the sticking block unless its been done before. I think the autolusso kit is good but maybe you can do it cheaper if its not an original item and the pipes have been done before

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, I was planning on a kit just so all the parts are new (the previous owner seems to have been an alfa hater - it's been unloved!)
With regards to the size of the intercooler is it a 500x180x65? that will fit in? I did try the search function but I couldn't find a reference to size, although I'm sure I saw it in a thread before. Of and a kit to install it :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers xenkof but unfortunately that doesn't give me any sizes. I'm looking to see if I can do it myself, just wondered if anyone knew of a set of pipes that could be used. If not then I'll order from jtd performance along with some decat pipes :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cheers xenkof but unfortunately that doesn't give me any sizes. I'm looking to see if I can do it myself, just wondered if anyone knew of a set of pipes that could be used. If not then I'll order from jtd performance along with some decat pipes :)
I just made and fitted my own decat pipe and its makes a big difference, though if your fitting a FMIC too you may need a re-map to get the most out of the mods :) Check out your MAP sensor too as it may need a good clean if your GT has been unloved...

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
If you want the FMIC order the JTD Performance one, it is a good kit and works and fits well. I looked at it when we fitted one to Damien's car and it was not worth out time to make our own as his one works

We can do the oil cooler kit for you

Diesel Oil Cooler Replacement Kit - 147 / 156 / GT 1.9 16v and 2.4 10v - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Ned

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Samsdad..........fancy making some more? ;) cheers guys for all the response.
Ned...... reckon I'll be off to the Bournemouth branch for the cam belt and possibly the swirl flaps removed. Think I might need to sell a kidney soon for all the work I need to get done lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
in terms of the FMIC It is absolutely not required unless you are going for really big numbers, more than your stock turbo can provide, save your money on that unless you plan to fit the hybrid as Damien and I have done.
Re the oil cooler go for the one Ned supplies , it is a good price and designed to fit so will require no fettling at all.

if the cam belt is being done then the flaps are an also do whilst in there and should save you quite a bit on labour charges, i have both swirl flap and egr delete as well as the hybrid turbo and custom map now, but before this I had Loz's 180 bhp map with the EGR delete and the car was really nice to drive ..this would be a good place to start, ask Loz if he has a stage one clutch while you are there, its a strong clutch and still holding even at my power levels ( around 225 BHP) all that should set you up nicely for a while and fitting the stronger clutch now will allow you to push the power levels later on if you so wish.

cheers

Joe

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the reply Joe. The only reasons I was thinking about going front mount is because 1: my cowling is rusting away and 2: I would like bigger power at some point soon.
Turbo wise am I right in thinking the one from the 2.4 is a reasonable upgrade? If I had the cash then the car would be in AL having everything done to it.
Oh and I was thinking about the stage 2 torquedrive clutch was be a good buy. It's roughly £260. That would surely be future proof??
Would be awesome if there was someone local that would take me for a spin in a decent powered GT ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Samsdad..........fancy making some more? ;) cheers guys for all the response.
Ned...... reckon I'll be off to the Bournemouth branch for the cam belt and possibly the swirl flaps removed. Think I might need to sell a kidney soon for all the work I need to get done lol
If you were a little bit closer to Glasgow then yeah no probs! I don't have a template or jigs so just have to trial fit and adjust till it fits fine.

If your thinking of more power later on and upgrading the clutch you may want to look into your DMF and either get a new one or go for a solid flywheel. I'm fairly new to Diesels after spending most of my time on petrol and classics so still learning the ins and outs too! Good luck with the car :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kidneys are overated anyway, Alfas are special.[/QUOTE]

Who needs two kidneys anyway! ;)

Samsdad....... maybe a road trips in order lol.

Isn't there a bit of a debate over whether the solid flywheel is worth it. I'm game if it just sacrifices a little drivability in 1st gear (few more revs required??)

·
Registered
121 Posts
well, i'm moving to a bigger house in June so there may be a spare bed going lol

Yeah i have read quite a few threads on a few forums about the solid v DMF debate. I had thought about the solid flywheel as my clutch went (again) earlier in the year and i wanted to replace the DMF as the original was still on the car. Given what i use the car for i went for a new dmf and standard clutch and the car feels fine though would look again at the arguments if going doing the re-map route etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts