Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have FES, i can connect and clear codes on the airbag, climate and abs ecus using the adaptors (red,green,yellow) however i cant connect at all to the engine ecu(not adaptor). i have tried another laptop cable to no avail. ive used a multimeter most of the pins were showing 5-6V apart from 3
pin 4 0.1V
5 0.05v
8 0.0

not sure what they're meant to be, i'm not great with this sort of thing, :cry:
2002 interior facelift 2.4jtd 10v
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
What connector are you using ? a 16 pin eobd is needed

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don’t know if this helps but I use a ISO OBD-II / VAGCOM / AlfaDiag KKL Interface on my 2002 facelifted 156 JTS and have bridged pins 1-7-9 and also use switch to isolate pin 3 (airbags). I referred to FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner. I believe pin 7 is the engine ecu but I could be wrong.

You couldn’t go wrong by getting one of Rarebear’s modified cables if you can’t sort it out; but yes do check the OBD2 connection itself, maybe one of the pins is a bit corroded or too loose.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been greedy and posted on another forum. i think ive got people scratching their heads. im getting about 5vs through pin 7 so i assume thats live. ive tried someone else's laptop and cable so that rules those out. :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well the only thing I can think of then is that maybe pin 7 is a bit loose or you have selected the wrong type of ecu to connect to (easy to do). I had to fiddle with my connector one day to get it to connect and applied some dielectric grease; but if it’s not that I am at a complete loss.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FES is fairly straight forward so im sure im trying to connect to the right one, EDC15C7 which is right for the later 10v diesels, it doesnt make sense :confused: im pretty much at a loss too lol got to love Italian electrics. thanks for your help :thumbs:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks. But definitely check those connectors before you do something expensive; I removed all my alfa’s OBD2 connector pins from the socket by firstly unclipping the yellow plastic cover, then using a small screw driver pushed down the little barbs on the pins to pull them out one by one. Once out I think you can squeeze the socket gap smaller with a small screw driver then all that’s left to do is put them back in the right order.

It wouldn't connect for me until I squeezed together the connectors, the only reason I knew my problem was the OBD2 connector was because I had connected to the ECU before. In your case maybe just try removing pin 7 unless you have about half an hour to spare.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
My guess is that there is an error on the connector board, happened to me once (after 100 + modified cables), buy another cable from ebay (or buy a tested cable from me:). )
The connector contacts in the car , as suggested, are also suspect....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts