Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

not an alfa owner yet but have ALWAYS admired the 156 from afar. Always thought they were out of my price range as well.

I am after a 2.4JTD for work - I am an IT consultant and do about 22,000 miles a year.

Was looking to buy one with about 70kish on the clock (not much for a diesel) make sure its had the all important cambelt and waterpump (yes i have done my research )

In my experience though the best people to ask about cars are the people that own them and the people that are passionate about them.

Sooooooo....

my dilemma is this.

I don't want to spend a lot on a car as i go through them quite quick due to work miles.

I can get a pre facelift 2.4jtd for about a grand less than a facelifted one. Obviously the facelift is a 150bhp engine and a late pre face will be a 140bhp and you also get the nicer interior on the facelift,

Is it cosmetic or are the rumours true about tons of the problems being sorted when the facelift came in.

If the £1000 extra is buying me a fancy silver centre console/steering wheel and LED climate control then i can live without it.

If its more than skin deep i'd like to know and spend the money if its needed.

Whichever i get will be getting an alfatune remap due to getting the increased power and mpg.

Thanks guys - i'll be joining the ranks regardless in the next 3-6 months :)

Russ

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
there were 2 face lifts, the 2002 face lift which in just the interior, with the original exterior except for body coloured wing mirrors and bumper inserts, best combo in opinion (but im biased:lol:, see sig:thumbs:).

then the 2003 face lift, which kept the dash of the 02 face lift, but changed the bumpers, lights, boot, front wings and bonnet:thumbs:

i like the info centre on the facelift too. dont forget, most face lifts came with cruise control too, a small but great bonus for lazy people like me:D

2002 face lift cars are also about 1-2k less than the full facelift:thumbs:

so you can get a 150bhp 2.4 10v with the 2002 interior face lift, or the 175bhp 20v in the full facelift for alot more money.

personally i prefer the 10v, better gearbox and drivetrain:thumbs:

the 2002 face lift did solve alot of the problems of the original 156, namely rusting underneath, and most of the electrics were changed too:thumbs:

iv had mine a year and no electrical issues what so ever:D (now iv done it:lol:)

having said that, my mum had a 2.4 10v in original guise (pre any facelift) and it was totally reliable.

1 thing wrong in 3 years and that was a MAF, thats it:thumbs:

so more people will be along shortly im sure:thumbs:

whats your budget? gives us a better idea of what too luck for?

also any preferance to saloon or Sport Wagon?

and also a welcome too, and another addition to the NorthWest Clan:thumbs:

a couple of examples too wet your appetite:D

2003 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD Turismo

2002 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD TURISMO 4DR TURBO DIESEL FULL BLACK LEATHE

2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2387 cc 2.4 Jtd Lusso with Leather

and here is the full face lift to show the price difference

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ars/2l_to_2-5l/page/1/sort/priceasc&logcode=p

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO......:HAPPY:....Alfa-Red has demonstrated what a great place this is for advice...:thumbs:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah cheers exactly what i was after

budget is between £3k & £4k

like i say its for work so reliability is something i'd be looking for

I am reasonably handy and one of the guys at work runs Mobile Servicing Ltd - Mobile Mechanic so i am ok for repairs and stuff at not massive cost.

will also be investing in alfadiag i think as well once i get one

I also like the 02 facelift thats what i would like - i prefer the shape to the exterior facelift models.

don't care whether i get a turismo/lusso or veloce as I'll be fitting teledials, -40mm suspension standard skirts and probably (and i hear its hit and miss whether you get lynched for this) the silly rear wing as i always loved it.

No preference to saloon or sportwagon although a sportwagon may stop the angry anti silly spoiler mob from getting me lol.

I am keeping an eye on autotrader at the moment as i always do a few months before getting a car to see how much they go for and what kit etc is available at what price and whether its worth hanging about for a bit to see if anything comes up.

there were tons for sale about 3 weeks back but now the choice is a bit more limited

i'll need to hang on a bit longer for an 02 interior facelifted model but i am thinking it might be worth it :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
No preference to saloon or sportwagon although a sportwagon may stop the angry anti silly spoiler mob from getting me lol.
dont listen too them:tut::lol:

im gona start a BFOW group:lol:

the ones i listed were all interior face lift cars, apart from the last one, so pick one *no whips smiley*:lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah seen all them already

just need a few more ££££ first

i could pick up a pre face with 70k on it for 3k

i'll hang on though

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
there facelift interior cars between 3 and 4 grand, there perfect:D

hurry up:lol:

i waited 3 months for mine:rant: inbetween my 147 and this i had to drive a focus:mad: worse than that a DIESEL focus, worth the wait though, good luck and happy hunting.

Maybe see around hopefully, ill keep an eye out for a guy with a big chessy grin on his face, oh wait thats me:lol::D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wierd thing for me will be changing from petrol to diesel.

currently driving an x plate 5 door civic 1.8 vti, same bodyshell as a rover 400/45 except mine has 185bhp, cusco limited slip diff and an 8200rpm redline. ill have to half the revs of my gear changes lol. cant wait for the refinement of the alfa!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The wierd thing for me will be changing from petrol to diesel.

currently driving an x plate 5 door civic 1.8 vti, same bodyshell as a rover 400/45 except mine has 185bhp, cusco limited slip diff and an 8200rpm redline. ill have to half the revs of my gear changes lol. cant wait for the refinement of the alfa!
the 2.4 does sound good when moving though, a little gruff at idle, but very growly on the move, especially the 10v.....lovely:D

i love 5 pot noises of any kind, diesel or petrol;):D miss my mums:(

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I came from a V6 to a 2.4 10v and I don't miss the V6. (Only looking at it!!) The 5 pot is a terrific engine with a proper growl on the move. I got the best of both worlds, facelift interior, 150 bhp origional body design. I recommend the 2.4 100% :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking forward to it

the civic is quick and i used to have a leon cupra but i reckon after the remap the alfa will be in the real world the fastest car i have ever owned.

Can't wait. Every time i look at an interior pic on autotrader of the facelifts i just can't wait to be sat in mine.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys.

Looks like its gonna be a little more waiting but will be worth it for the facelift improved features :)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the exterior facelift is just a matter of taste really - some like it, some prefer the original. but the facelift INTERIOR is a sure-fire winner :thumbs:

a remapped 2.4 will be a very quick machine too. the 2.4 lump makes the 156 a bit nose heavy, but you're modding the suspension so that should improve on the standard kit which wasn't great

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would recommend the 2.4 10v too. I have the 150bhp model and have it remapped and its fantastic. I agree with Alfa-Red with the 5 pot noise. I came from a Fiat Coupe 20vt and they are very similar layout apart from i can double my miles on a tank and i have to change into 3rd before i reach 60.
I don't know of any other car that is fun to drive, sounds nice and returns nearly 50 mpg (doing 60 miles a day) and also looks great. Handling is good for a big WAGON too :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts