Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilding a Mini

Along with my Alfa Romeo GTVs, my other car is a 1995 Rover Mini, it started out in life as a 'Sidewalk' special edition and was turned slowly into a Cooper. sometime in 2003 it was stacked into a motorway crash barrier as a result of some tool cutting me up on the slip road. it hasnt been the same since but is steadily becoming healthy again and soon i hope it will be brought back to life by the magical powers of hard graft and lots of money ;)

anyway as i know some people on here are interested in Minis i thought i would share some piccies with you from the first day of rebuild up to now, still nowhere near finished but getting there, as my signature says!

here we go then. first day, towed to garage by Jaguar tractor:

removal of temporarily fitted plastic front (note proper car in background)

engine and subframe taken out

interior looking a bit worse for wear

from the back

new panels welded on and new subframe in situ

front nearly finished (proper car in back again ;))

more to come tomorrow probably. its a finished shell now but i havent taken pictures for a few weeks

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Absolutely huge Mini nut, me - will be watching this closely! Enjoy the rebuild, a lot of dedication needed there! :cool:

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
wow...lots of work going into her :cool:

·
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys, it does look worse than it suggests, its not too bad really. im gonna have fun piecing it all back together though :mad: plenty of grazed knuckles and swearing, hope i dont scratch the paint when its done though

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
No as you say thats in good nick compared to some. and they are good old fashion nuts and bolts car that a compitent diy,er should be able to bring back to life.
So crack on and keep taking the pics.

·
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, had a nice chat with my body sprayer guy that is painting it for me, he says im doing a good job so far, just needs a few little things doing before a respray and a general tidy up. more pics to come on wednesday hopefully.

cant wait for it to be sprayed though, if i say so myself its going to look stunning. im going for a flip paint scheme, its a BMW mini (sorry) paint and its a chameleon purple/blue/green flip job. going for a pearlescent white roof and cooper bonnet stripes too :cool: with all the chrome bits obviously!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
love it, learnt to drive in a 1980 mini - what a difference from most of today's motoring school focuses etc:eek:

H

·
0 Posts
Good stuff mate :D

Can I have a blast when she's fininshed to my shame I've never driven a Mini :eek: :(

·
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothing handles like a Mini al

HM, il see about that. il certainly be bringing a foreigner to an AONW meet when its finished and you can all have a poke around it, anyone wants a ride in it is more than welcome but for driving, il have to see at the time ;) no offence to anyone or their driving though :lol:

·
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just a couple more shots to share for now but the shell is all but finished now and is booked in for painting the first few weeks in january. theres a few bits for sale if anybody that has a mini out there wants some bits for, drop us a PM and il see what i have got for you :)

here we are then, front end finished.

and back end also finished.

feel free to comment on what you can see, there probably wont be many more pics between now and january when its been painted.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
i still like the old minis i had one when i was 19 it was given to me .
it was a 1000 automatic clubman with a seized engine so i took the engine out and put a 1.3 engine from a austin alegro into it and a big exhaust,the thing used to fly good luck with yours.:thumbs:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I wanted a mini when I first started driving like Mr Bean, he's great :D

·
63,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bit busy in here innit?? :lol:

have kinda hit a brick wall on this, i cant paint it til i sell my old GTV :(

cheers for the comments though guys :D

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I may have to sell my 156 soon (commuting mileage :cry:), and am considering a Mini :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts