Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi jimybob, and others,

some of you might have read my threads lately so you know my car is getting a full overhall. The other day i was sitting in a nasty ol bar and a thought came to my mind, i will blame it on the beer :D , since i will have a completeky redone engine, what about puting some NOS, since thats the most bang for the $$ spent. The plan is in like 2 years sell the car to some rich kid, for more money, and NOS will defenatly get them ringing.

Anyway, my question is, can i buy a type of computer that lets the NOS get bosted in at diffrente rpms, Example at 3500 i want 20hp of boost, at 4500 35hp, and at 5500 50hp. I have read that more than 80hp, can be dangerous for a regular engine. Also this computer should have an option, where NO NOS is used.

ideas, gun shot to the head, anything is wellcome :D eek!

Nick

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the NOS fitters should be able to "tune" the system for you. They will also set the max boost etc for you.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that.

The power from NOS is set by the size of jets you have as it goes into the engine i.e. a 1mm jet size will give you approx 70bhp, a 0.8mm jet will give about 45bhp.

A rough guide to the amount of power a std engine will take (i mean std internals) is about 1/3 of the std power of the engine i.e. a 2.0 16v would be 150bhp so can safely take 50bhp jets.. possibly a max of 75 bhp jets.

The actuation of NOS usually comes through 2 micro switchs... one in the engine bay to sense if you are on wide open throttle (cause damage if you ain't) and your push button switch in the cockpit. You can get piggy back ecu's which you can link the NOS actuation into so it'll fire most of the time but you'll use a lot of it quickly.

Do a bit of research on the web.. there are loads of sites on NOS and how to make them (DIY kits) as well as how to install proper bought kits.

Oh yes i have looked into this many times and still fancy doing it. :D

j

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've got a really good thing on building NOS systems which helps you to understand how it works too... PM me if you want it emailed to you

j

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could go the whole hog & get a 3rd party bloack box ECU with NOS control in it.. that way it could be fully integrated into the ECU Maps :) nice & safe (ish) wink

A

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi all,

wow, at least i didnt get thrown out of the Forum.. :)

I wrote NOS company, which is a subsedary of Holly, apperantly they are one of the best on the market. they came back with the folowing question:

:D Does your vehicle come equipped with electronic or mechanical fuel
injection ? Also if it is electronically injected, does the vehicle
have a
vacuum sensitive fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment :D

Does it???? :rolleyes:

N

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think so.. i know what they're gonna say tho...

They have a kit which uses that pump/sensor and takes the fuel feed and NOS feed into a 'gizmo box'. this Only has 1 line coming out of it, which is the one you put just before the throttle body (tap a hole into the air box piping just b4 it and point the spray jet towards it)
This gizmo box will have two solenoids in it (i think) and using the vacuum sensor will keep the exact same nos/fuel mix (i.e. if the fuel is running low.. it will adjust the nos to match and vice versa) and keep a consisitent power gain.

The normal setup is the two lines (nos and fuel) going into a 2-1 connector into the air box piping. These also have actuation solenoids in the line but this is before the 'joiner' and is a simple on off... not a mix ratio checking thing..

make any sense?? i thought not :p

This kit is supposed to be v good and consistent.

rgrds

j

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok..

so what do i tell these giys. What info do i give them..i dont know the info they are asking for.

HEEELP.

N

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ..yes you do have a vacume pressure regulator..

it all depends if you gona just have a 'fogger' kit (single NOS injector) or go for a full on direct jobbie..fogger is ok for about 150bhp and will do just fine but a full system is far more costly.
the trigger can be anything from a micro switch when your on 'WOT' or if your really adventurous you can have the kind of system that the drag racers have,it allows a small amount of NOS into the engine first then dumps in the rest later to prevent wheel spin at slow speeds(called duel stage).

btw all this is from memory so if its wrong please correct me.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mmmm thanks jimybob, but i dont think that my engine can handle 150hp. i would be happy with just 50-80hp. That way i dont have to change the internals.

N

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Err.... Okay, my english isn't really good, but... For a start you can allways boy a box with start gas. Know what I mean? And take a small wire into the air- intake. And when you need a boost, just add some gas from the bottle that you have in your glove compartment. :p
I have a freind who fitted it into his car. Really cool actually.

Hehe :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the respons from NOS:

The kit that should fit your car is part number 05122 ($670.list) and
will add 50-60HP safely to naturally aspirated, multi port
electronically
fuel injected engines. This is normally enough power to drop the
1/4-mile
times by 1-1.5+sec. This kit is also easy to install (about the same as
a
car stereo install w/amp/CD changer 3-5 hours). No other mods. are
required to run this kit. This kit is a "pressure boost" style of dry
manifold nitrous kit.

Soooo, ones i get my car back, i most lily will buy it.

N

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want to be "Reluctant Ralf" but I never heard of anyone who started sniffing Nitrox that didn't blow their engine up sooner or later.

If you're desperate for 50 bhp I'd personally look at upgrading the ECU. The money you save will buy gallons of Hi-octane.

Alternatively, your car will actually be quicker point to point if you leave the engine alone and just stick on some bigger wheels and new (lower) springs and anti-roll-barkit.

And new discs/pads to keep you out of the bushes.

Ralf S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts