Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
One Ferrero Roche. And I'm spoiling you.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Shocking news. Imagine the feeling of smugness, as you drive about in your slightly shoddy, **** ugly, afterthought hatchback, thinking "this is rarer than a Ferrari Dino".

On that basis it must be worth quarter of a million easy.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Like many BL cars of the day that had quite inovative features. The hatchback was perhaps one of them. I also think the Cd figure was low for the time.
Can't say it floats my boat though.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Like many BL cars of the day that had quite inovative features. The hatchback was perhaps one of them. I also think the Cd figure was low for the time.
Can't say it floats my boat though.
I'm not entirely sure that the hatchback was still an innovation in 1982 to be honest. It was when the Maxi was first made but BL had that strange knack of getting things wrong. Both the Princess and the Allegro had the hatchback shape but with resulting tiny boot lids that made them probably less practical than a normal 3-box saloon.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that the hatchback was still an innovation in 1982 to be honest. It was when the Maxi was first made but BL had that strange knack of getting things wrong. Both the Princess and the Allegro had the hatchback shape but with resulting tiny boot lids that made them probably less practical than a normal 3-box saloon.
I was confusing it with the Princess (1975-1981), which I am informed via Wiki was only intended as a hatchback, but BL decided that the Maxi was to be the only one. I never knew that.

·
Registered
37,599 Posts
I actually had No 18, the Rover 200 series (a 216)

My mate had No 15, a shove-it

Mum & Dad had No 14, we had both a 1.6HLS and a 1.3 - the 1.6 was pretty much my first day-to-day driving car after we chopped in the Maxi. The msn pic shows a Montgomeryshire registered example, which is where the 1.6 came from too.

Learned to drive and passed my test in No 11 the Metro

First daily driver was a Maxi, No 7 - staggered that there are still 401 left

Finally I contributed to the number 2 spot, the Montego, by buying an estate version for the car booting craze :eek:

God I feel old now :(

·
Registered
44,784 Posts
Never owned any of them. Occasionally drove a Maxi belonging to a department manager if it was blocking the entrance to the warehouse of a shop I used to work at but that's it. He used a match box to keep the choke open when the engine was cold otherwise it kept stalling !

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
I played my part in the decimation of the Sierra population by crashing one and scrapping one. Two others survived my ownership intact though.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One Ferrero Roche. And I'm spoiling you.
I see what you did there :thumbs:

Shocking news. Imagine the feeling of smugness, as you drive about in your slightly shoddy, **** ugly, afterthought hatchback, thinking "this is rarer than a Ferrari Dino".

On that basis it must be worth quarter of a million easy.
I knew you'd understand.

How long will I be banned for if I say I was thinking of buying one?

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
Like most people the Ambassador does nothing for me and I was contemporary to the launch.

But - just but - at the time the motoring press said that this was the car the Princess should have been.

If you have a really good example then - as has been said - you have a £0.42 asset. BUT if you have the space and keep it rust free then your grandchildren may just thank your memory when they inherit this otherwise unrecognised (to date) classic.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Like many BL products of the time, it was probably quite a competent car. It just doesn't have any kerb appeal whatsoever.

I think this is the appropriate place to point out my new avatar.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
No pointing out necessary....I spotted it.....and was about to ask you to change back to the landcrab, of which I have fond memories.......:)

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
On the subject of rare cars, the total number of Audi 100 Avants (all models C1-C4, all engines) is down to 350.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts