Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 reg TS 166 was due for it's NCT today.

First one since I bought the car last year and was hoping if she got a green light that I could then plough a few bob into her and get the car right.

Anyway, Saturday morning and the clutch is gone. Could just about grind it into reverse to get it out of the drive in the event that I need to tow it to the garage or whatever.:cry:

Disaster.

Any idea of the going rate for a new clutch including fitting in Cork?

Would have liked to get the car NCT'd at least I would know that it would have been worth repairing. Bit worried now that it could cost me a grand to put right and then it will fail the NCT and id be goosed.

FFS.:cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it deffo the clutch? Have you checked the master & slave cylinders?
I dont know is the honest answer.:confused:

There was very little bite left in the clutch for a while, ir the pedal had to come out more and more before the gear would be engaged if you know what i mean.

Now trying to get it into gear is a major struggle to the point where I just ground it into reverse to get it out of the drive because it would be easier to tow from there.

Could you tell me how i would go about checking the cylinders please?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Have you tried pumping the clutch pedal to try and get pressure back into it? If you do this and it works then I think it will be either the master or the slave. If not it's probably the clutch. If your biting point was getting higher then I think that's the clutch on the way out.

My master cylinder was changed earlier this year and my symptoms were a clutch pedal that's biting point gradually got lower and lower to the carpet with difficulty engaging gear and the gears graunching. A few pumps of the pedal got the pressure back. The master cylinder is in the footwell and if it's the culprit you'd see it leaking but I'm not sure how much of the footwell components you need to strip out to get to it. The slave cylinder sits on top of the clutch bellhousing, I think, and can be seen from the engine bay if you strip off the airbox gubbins.

Good luck, hopefully it's not the clutch but the slave was expensive enough for me to get done in my local garage (around €300 in your money!).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried pumping the clutch pedal to try and get pressure back into it? If you do this and it works then I think it will be either the master or the slave. If not it's probably the clutch. If your biting point was getting higher then I think that's the clutch on the way out.

My master cylinder was changed earlier this year and my symptoms were a clutch pedal that's biting point gradually got lower and lower to the carpet with difficulty engaging gear and the gears graunching. A few pumps of the pedal got the pressure back. The master cylinder is in the footwell and if it's the culprit you'd see it leaking but I'm not sure how much of the footwell components you need to strip out to get to it. The slave cylinder sits on top of the clutch bellhousing, I think, and can be seen from the engine bay if you strip off the airbox gubbins.

Good luck, hopefully it's not the clutch but the slave was expensive enough for me to get done in my local garage (around €300 in your money!).
Thanks Scott. :thumbs: Will give that a whirl when I get home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check fluid levels, any juddering at all from the car?
Will check these also thanks A17.:thumbs:

Just the wife said that she could not get the car into reverse to drive it out of the driveway.

I get in, start the car, doesn't want to go in gear, grinds a bit but then goes into reverse and I park it outside the house.

This is where we are at the minute.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried pumping the pedal but it is now only coming back half way, need to put my foot under it to pull it back to the normal position.

In trouble id say.

L

·
0 Posts
imho your clutch system needs to be bled, if that doesn't work then get some-one that knows alfa to check the slave cylinder. All going well its a 15 mins job to replace it & not too expensive either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imho your clutch system needs to be bled, if that doesn't work then get some-one that knows alfa to check the slave cylinder. All going well its a 15 mins job to replace it & not too expensive either.
Jesus if that was the case i would be delighted. Will have to get it checked because failing this im going to have to sell it.

Just have not got 6 or 7 hundred quid this side of xmas.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Dont sell it, do it yrself,

Large jack, good set of tools.

In a nut shell, gear box off, clutch out, fit gear box off! You will have all the online help you need!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it come out of gear? How does the car sound? What was the car like before it went?

Car was grand Esh. Could feel the biting point getting lower and lower before it eventually went.

Dont know if I would be able to do the work. Will get a quote and make me decision at that stage. Thanks for the offer of help though mate. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i'd check the hydraulics first - slave cylinder is only about 40 quid and not too tricky to replace (more than 15 mins though!), although master is a bit more involved since it's under the dash but still easier than a new clutch :D

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
289 Posts
Replacing the slave cylinder on the 2.0 TS is straight forward, but requires a 'C' clip tool (available from the likes of Halfords) (it looks like a pliers with the ends of the 'jaws' tuned through an angle with little horns).

The only tricky bit is the metal pipe feeding the rear of the cylinder, don't bend it if possible otherwise it's a bugger to get the threads back in line on the connecting nut to the cylinder.

Replaced mine and the thermostat in about 2 hours with no rush or major panic.

Variator

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
that's if you can get the old cylinder out the bracket - i thankfully got hold of a spare bracket but even with the old bracket and cylinder off it took a fair bit or persuasion with a lump hammer to get the cylinder out!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Do we know what the issue is yet? Doesn't actually sound like your clutch has gone if no judder or slipping.

Hope we get it sorted soon!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts