Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my 96 gtv ts 2.0 last month, suddenly hit with lighting probs.
1, side lights stopped working
2, tail light and brake light on left side stopped working
3, when braking instument lights come on but don,t come on when lights are now switched on !
also when engine is off and brake is pedal is pressed or lights are switched on a "whirring" noise from engine bay sometimes

G

·
welcome to AO...

you will get a quicker response if you post any tech questions in the relevant tech lounge...

all the best

mike....:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Wait for someone a bit more up-to-date, but it seems like the sort of earthing problems we had in the 1970's with Fiats about 12 months old.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not sure about question 3, but regarding the other questions have you checked all the fuses, relays and bulbs? Just to make sure it's nothing more serious.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,432 Posts
Wait for someone a bit more up-to-date, but it seems like the sort of earthing problems we had in the 1970's with Fiats about 12 months old.
Agree with Keith on this, sounds like classic earthing problems. I think that there are several earthing straps on the GTV so you may have to find them all. Personally I would start at the battery and ensure that everything there is clean and tight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks nige checked battery connections and they seem to be fine although there is a black wire coming from the "-" terminal that is disconnected it has 2 spades which appear to have been from an inline fuse. i should also mention that the stereo in the car was disconnected so all i had was the bare wires with no iso and looking at the wiring diag on another thread it seems the yel/blk wire runs from the side lights ! do you have thoughts on whether this could be an issue?

·
16,432 Posts
thanks nige checked battery connections and they seem to be fine although there is a black wire coming from the "-" terminal that is disconnected it has 2 spades which appear to have been from an inline fuse. i should also mention that the stereo in the car was disconnected so all i had was the bare wires with no iso and looking at the wiring diag on another thread it seems the yel/blk wire runs from the side lights ! do you have thoughts on whether this could be an issue?
:( Sorry no, I don't have a clue about the yel/blk wires, seems you may have a bit of tracing and messing about to repair the damage caused by the previous butcher. Seems odd that you have two dis connected wires with spades on attached to the ' earthy ' side of the battery, suppose you could try just connecting these to the chassis without causing any further problems, whether it will help at all is a different matter.

You will find lot's of info about the radio ISO connector on here though, it's a topic that comes up fairly regularly, usually with the " how do I put the radio on an ignition switched feed " slant so you'll be able to get some decent info on that. Just do a Thread search on here and look in the ICE lounge.

Hope you sort something out, let us know how you get on.

Good luck !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi nige, just letting you know everything seems sorted. the brake pedal / instrument light problem changed to the instrument lights just not working and all the brake lights working, so i checked all the fuses for the the lights again and found one blown so now everything works except the side lights (which i can live without) also got my new stereo wired and working so thanks everyone for your replies and interest :D

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
hi nige, just letting you know everything seems sorted. the brake pedal / instrument light problem changed to the instrument lights just not working and all the brake lights working, so i checked all the fuses for the the lights again and found one blown so now everything works except the side lights (which i can live without) also got my new stereo wired and working so thanks everyone for your replies and interest :D
Hi Jim

Glad you got your car more or less sorted now.

I didn't mean to insult you on Tuesday evening (by calling your GTV tatty :eek: :rolleyes: ). I got you confused with another AO member who'd posted in the Northern Ireland lounge who said he had a ratty GTV and wouldn't bring it to the meet. I thought you and he were the same :eek: :lol:

·
16,432 Posts
:thumbs: Hi kk, glad you're more or less sorted, nice to get an easy ish fix ! Side lights seem a bit odd, is it possibly a dodgy switch as I assume that all the fuses are now OK ?

Hope you can find the problem before the dreaded MoT !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts