Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 156 2 months ago and absolutely love it. I work in a small office (just over 30 staff) and am the only Alfa owner. As far as I know none have ever owned one. I have had a few comments from people since I bought it.
* Reliability
* I like my big cars and must be a polluting machine and don't I care?
* Take it you're a speed freak (assume I race around now because I bought an Alfa)
* Take it your car is fast (person did not mean this as a compliment)
* Must be good to have money (somehw they think it cost me loads although I do keep it clean and shiny)
* Never been in an expensive car (from someone I gave a lift to)

None of my colleagues have ever been in any car with me outside town driving and found it a bit strange they assumed I was now some sort of speed freak / racer since I bought an Alfa - insinuation was Alfa does this to people.

What have other folk had from people who are no Alfa drivers?
I just find some of the comments strange considering my works car park contains - 3 BMW's - a 3 series, 5 series and an X3. Smattering of various Vauxhalls, Fords, Peugeots and Renaults.

Just find it some of the comments strange from these drivers who have no real idea about Alfas or my driving.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, but are you a speed freak/racer!? I am :lol:
I've had similar comments, I think people recognise that Alfa's have a racing heritage and people who buy them like to take advantage of their fine engines, probably...

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
yep, i've also had a few comments relating to how it must be an expensive car and how it must also be a fast car.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yesterday morning a guard on the gate at work held up his hand and started hurrying over to me. I thought "oh b****r, I'm in a hurry and I don't want to get searched today". Anyway, it turns out that he had been watching me come in for a few weeks and wanted to know what I thought about the Alfa! He wanted to know whether it was the 1.9 or the 2.4, so he knew something about it. Anyway, we had a brief conversation (holding a couple of people up at the gate) and at the end of it he said "nice to see someone around here with good taste".

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The normal reaction i get when people find out i have an Alfa is normally that i am rich (or well off anyway - which i am not), a crazy fast driver (which i am sometimes :) ), and vain (again - i can be).

I always get though, an "oooh" of complete gratification that is, in itself, very satisfying. :D

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've had my Nan staying with me from Ireland for the past few weeks. Last time she was here I had a Merc C200 which she really liked.

When she first saw the Cup she said "Well, you must have a lot of money to burn". Everytime we drive anywhere it's "Don't drive too fast" or "Careful where you park, people will get jealous and damage your expensive car". She also regularly goes on about how it's a "gas-guzzler" and I keep on saying that it's ok as long as I drive it sensibly (I don't tell her I very rarely do).

It's weird considering she knew the Merc was a lease and cost me as much in two years, with nothing to show at the end, as it did to buy the Cup outright.

Bless her.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just find it strange as many of their cars would have cost more than mine and they somehow think mine's must have been expensive.

Do I drive fast - damn right I do! If I want to toddle along like a Sunday driver I would have bought a Micra or something. Again don't know why they assume I must drive fast because of the car, especially as none have been in it with me.

Have had more than a few admiring comments about it though which does please me obviously.

Wonder how they'd feel if they did have to go somewhere with me driving?

Have to admit I do drive a slightly longer route home so I can up it up a bit rather than driving through the town and traffic. Only done this since I bought the Alfa.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yes we do, or we wouldnt make posts like this. i get comments all the time such as:

"youve had nothing but trouble since you bought it"
"always breaking down"

i get comments about it being red,

i get comments about it being soooooooo expensive,

i get lots of comments basically the problem is people make asumptions, its that that annoys me.

i just had my mot, it failed on worn insides of the front tyres. apparantly this is classed as a big mechanical failure of my Alfa. but when his evo had the brakes repaired time and time again thats fine.

yes, these comments bug me, and they bug me cos i love my car. its great. it just gets wearing and annoying at times.

and breathe..............lol

;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I once got into trouble from an ex girlfriend because I had driven her and dad home in my then GTV, at an apparently fast speed when in fact I had stuck religiously to the speed limit.

There is definately that perception. Thank God she is an Ex.:lol:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I often chat with a bloke at work who is "considerably richer than me". He loves his cars too, and has an AC Cobra (real) amongst other things. He also gets the chance to hob nob with a number of celebs. In short, he hardly ever takes his car out. He recently wanted a mint Ferrari 328, not to drive, but to keep in the garage and wouldn't consider driving it more than a couple of days a year.

He can't understand why I drive the Cup to work ?

Cash is wasted on the rich..they spend so much time thinking of ways to earn it, most have forgotten how to enjoy it.

The wives of Spartans used to tell their husbands before they went to war "Come back with your shield or on it"

The meaning behind it stems from the fact that those who ran away in battle used to throw their shield away, so they could run faster. Hence those who returned with their shields, had stood and fought. Those who died, were carried home on theirs.

My car is fly spattered and has numerous paint chips and small windsreen cracks. I polish it because it reduces drag....enough said.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
My young brother he`s 50.
stated when I bought
my first 145 cloverleaf.
John,
trust you to be differrent.

my eldest sister stated
to me me ,when I bought
Sports waggon,
John,
you always had good taste,

young grandson stated too me
when I bought the GTD 1.9.

Granddad,
Will you pick me up from
school this week.
PLEASE.

John.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My young brother he`s 50.
stated when I bought
my first 145 cloverleaf.
John,
trust you to be differrent.

my eldest sister stated
to me me ,when I bought
Sports waggon,
John,
you always had good taste,

young grandson stated too me
when I bought the GTD 1.9.

Granddad,
Will you pick me up from
school this week.
PLEASE.

John.
Eloquently put sir

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Two lady customers of mine saw me pulling out of the office in my 147. I wound the window down to chat and they said they had seen my car on top gear beating the Golf and the Focus, and that they loved it and I must get paid too much.

I wasn't going to burst the bubble and tell them it's not actually a GTA lol

:p

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When I bought my Alfa for the grand total of £3,500 these were the comments I got.

Girl at work: They must be paying you too much.
Girlfriend: Ooooo nice car.
Soon to be ex-wife: Why did you buy one of these again?
Mate1: Nice car until it breaks down.
Mate2: I've gotta get myself one of those.
Girl in pub: Here's my number :cool:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts