Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to ANE, in Germany they will be!

BERLIN -- Owners of Volkswagen Group cars with rigged diesel engines in Germany including VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat models will have their vehicles de-registered if they refuse to get a software update, a magazine reported.

VW has recalled about 11 million vehicles worldwide that were fitted with software capable of cheating emissions tests after its diesel scandal broke in September 2015.

Nearly two years later, almost 5.5 million of the 8.5 million affected models in Europe have been retrofitted, including 1.8 million cars in VW's German home market.

But many drivers do not want their cars to be retrofitted with new software, fearing any changes to make the vehicles comply with emissions standards would result in them being slower and consuming more fuel.

Some VW drivers could have their cars de-registered as early as next month, depending on when recall notices were issued, Focus magazine reported, citing documents of Germany's KBA motor vehicle authority.

A VW spokesman declined to comment.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Storm, teacup.

I know a chap making a tidy income reversing these changes.
All the recall does is increase the amount of time EGR is working and slight changes to fuelling parameter, I've been led to believe, with the aim of getting the NOX down. Most owners of tuned cars will have EGR blanked or electronically deleted anyway, and boost & fuelling raised for more power.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Aren't VW in effect just undoing their out-of-the-factory EGR disable ?

:confused:

(Hence the number of reported valve failures now the things are being used after years of static non-use...?)

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Aren't VW in effect just undoing their out-of-the-factory EGR disable ?

:confused:

(Hence the number of reported valve failures now the things are being used after years of static non-use...?)
Pretty much exactly. I bet they'll be seeing a lot more EGR valve failures now they're actually working. Funnily enough my wife's old Mk5 Golf TDI which I still use as a spare car, we bought it at 130k with full VW history and ran it to 200k, its never had an EGR valve or even a strip down & clean in its whole lifetime, if the service history is believed anyway. I've never had anything to do with it in the 6-odd years we've owned it. I do have receipts for failures like an alternator and a radiator not long before we bought it so I reckon it might well have done 200k miles on the original factory EGR valve.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Pretty much exactly. I bet they'll be seeing a lot more EGR valve failures now they're actually working. Funnily enough my wife's old Mk5 Golf TDI which I still use as a spare car, we bought it at 130k with full VW history and ran it to 200k, its never had an EGR valve or even a strip down & clean in its whole lifetime, if the service history is believed anyway. I've never had anything to do with it in the 6-odd years we've owned it. I do have receipts for failures like an alternator and a radiator not long before we bought it so I reckon it might well have done 200k miles on the original factory EGR valve.
They'll be piling into the AlfaMoaner tech forums all asking to do EGR deletes. By the time VAG have got rid of all of the bentness, an Audi will be just as perceptibly unreliable as an Alfa. :lol:

Next week, the VAG swirl flap scandal...

:p

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
To be fair, my old Stilo's (Pierburg) EGR is originale.. That did suffer a coking problem and needed a clean.. but it's fine now. I put little plates in the pipework to prevent it getting sooty again. I don't know why the factory didn't think of it.

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts