Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems in inadvertently cause a massive threadjack with my "climb the ladder" statement - I think a separate thread would be good

So how are you guys supplementing your income?

At the moment I am doing the following:
1)Consulting - A niche research/IT based system
2)Consulting - Research methodology for large scale research
3) Stats - I use my stats background to do non-financial predictions for a company
3) Stats - I am continuing to do the health related stats for workplace health at the company I just left

I have no experience in property or invested, and can't validate a single investment property using any spare income I have - to break even after having to pay the place off would just take too long

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Not allowed to earn income from work similar to my actual job. So all Stats and or economics related consulting is out for me.

Own my own share portfolio
Unit trusts
Rental properties
Investment club
Buying foreign cash as Rand hedge

Investment properties takes long to pay off but so does shares (there is no such thing as a quick buck).

Warren Buffet says it best. 'Its not timing the market, but time in the market'

If you moonlighting make sure you do it legally. I.e your employment contract allows for it.

Key with rentals is pay off the first property quickly. Then use that rental income to fund 2nd one. Pay that off quickly then use that to fund 3 and 4th property and before you know it you own a number of places that gives recurring income other than salary...

·
Registered
915 Posts
The property thing works but lots of factors work against it it these days. Banks looking at affordability etc. Then theres the issue of calibre of tenant and the PIE act. I also want to dabble in shares but where does one start? Had a few set backs in life so have to play catchup.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Property investment is great. Look for repo s through agents.
Wife has just purchased a property for investment at a very good price in Umhlanga.
One always has to believe even when the trend is unfavourable. I bought my current flat 2 years ago at a great price when prop prices when still high and it took months of searching but I believed that there for all the multitude of negative results, there has to be that elusive positive result and after about 3 months, this current flat came up at a great price.
Believe and be patient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts