Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think an unmolested original (well mostly) Mk1 GTi is worth ?

Would anyone buy one ?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Eric, you honestly think you gonna get a decent opinion on here regarding anything non Alfa?

Not a chance. Its like that time I posted I wanted Ghia.. Everyone *****ed Alfas of then was better blah blah. I never said it wasnt. Just said I wanted a Ghia.

Good luck getting a nice response here on a VAG tho :cheese:

Personally the only VAG I liked since I started showing an interest in cars was the Golf VR6

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well it is probably worth a lot more than what it was sold for new!

If it is in top nick I would think it has real value and I am sure you will definitely get buyers who are enthusiasts to the brand.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was too late..... its sold already :(

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Less in South Africa than elsewhere, due to all the citigolfs running around here.
Hmm I don't know. The kind of guy who is going to spend money on an original Mk1 GTi knows the difference between that and a a sh!tigolf.

Eric, you honestly think you gonna get a decent opinion on here regarding anything non Alfa?

Not a chance. Its like that time I posted I wanted Ghia.. Everyone *****ed Alfas of then was better blah
Ah yes, but a Mk1 GTi is an icon - a cult car. A will always be a beetle in a ball gown.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

"Unmolested" and "Original" and "GTi" in the same sentence???

:cheese::cheese::cheese:
For that exact reason, an Unmolested and Original GTi would be workth money.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmm I don't know. The kind of guy who is going to spend money on an original Mk1 GTi knows the difference between that and a a sh!tigolf.
But the number of people would be lower.
In other markets, the people who would be interested in having a hot (-ish) Mark 1 Golf only have the GTi to choose, while in SA that group of people have their pick of however many CitiGolfs they want.
In SA that leaves fewer people who actually WANT a Mk1 GTi for its "classic" value as opposed to someone who just wants a fast (-ish) Mk1 Golf.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called the new owner last night, who happens to be a car broker.... he paid R35 k for it from the original seller( who initially wanted R40k) and them almost immediately sold it to someone else for R55k..... R20 k in his pocket in one afternoon......

·
Registered
248 Posts
A fully original Mk1 GTI could be worth quite a lot, but depending on condition. Most hot hatches have had the kak driven out of them, that by now, if you manage to find an mk1, its leaking oil, needs new rings etc etc and would end up costing you money.

The thing to remember is that many people have built replicas with stolen parts, but the original GTI was a 2 door with a bosch fuel injection kit.

A guy from Uitenhage sold his original and unmolested GtI for around 80K a few weeks ago.

It is a nice little car, old, but nice, but the fact that you drive a golf, along with 10 million other people still doesnt make it anything to go to bed excited about.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In SA we did not get the two door version , only in 1100 cc format (Golf L I think). All of our GTis were four door

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
And 1.8. I seem to recall that the UK version was a 1.6.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
OLX has one for R28 000 if not sold yet

MK 1 GTI COLLECTORS FOR SALE! - Johannesburg
Yeah, well, the guy advertises it as being totally original, with leather seats. Surely the GTi had those tartan cloth seats? The backs of the seats may be leather - been a long time since I've been in a Mk1 GTi...
It's also missing the GTi badge on the grille, and I'm suspicious of the quad headlights - didn't the Mk1 only have the two lights, or did the later models get four?

I doubt it's actually a GTi.

Mk 1 Gti For Sale! | Roodepoort | Volkswagen | Junk Mail Classifieds | 40833181

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Actually it looks completely original to me except for the GTi badge in front and the clear indicators. IIRC the earlier Mk1 golfs with 5 speed boxes had a 5 speed decal behind the front wheels as well.

We never got the original 1974 model 1600 gti. They could be distinguished by only 2 doors and no windscreen washers! Also the front indicators were closer together in the bumpers.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
In SA we did not get the two door version , only in 1100 cc format (Golf L I think). All of our GTis were four door
Correct. And we also got the 2 door GT model.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A fully original Mk1 GTI could be worth quite a lot, but depending on condition. Most hot hatches have had the kak driven out of them, that by now, if you manage to find an mk1, its leaking oil, needs new rings etc etc and would end up costing y

It is a nice little car, old, but nice, but the fact that you drive a golf, along with 10 million other people still doesnt make it anything to go to bed excited about.
In the 1980's Alfa made a 1300 model with a top end of 200 kph!
Vw makes the GTI in the 80s with a top end of 185kph- and it's a cult car. Huh?

(I can see Eric's rationale- if one can make a profit on a car in demand, why not?)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Any car that have been build for so many years, of which so many were sold, is a classic. It doesn't have to be expensive or powerful to be classed as such.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
In the 1980's Alfa made a 1300 model with a top end of 200 kph!
Vw makes the GTI in the 80s with a top end of 185kph- and it's a cult car. Huh?

(I can see Eric's rationale- if one can make a profit on a car in demand, why not?)
I the 50's Alfa made a 1300 with a top end of 200km/h. It was called the Giulia/Giulietta Sprint Speciale and was the most aerodynamic production car for decades.:cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_Sprint_Speciale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts