Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has gone in for a service and I have been given the Jeep Compass as a courtesy vehicle. The Jeep runs with CVT gearbox.

It's interesting seeing under hard throttle how the revs sit at max power and the speed climbs. I must say I do not think I could ever get used to a transmission like this. Sounds and feels like the vehicle's clutch is slipping all the time.

Anyone driven a car extensively with CVT box? Can't imagine what something like this must be like on a performance vehicle. I know Subaru offers the CVT gearbox as their automatic option

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
My mother owns a Mercedes W169 A-class with the Autotronic gearbox (Merc's version of a CVT transmission)
It's actually very pleasant as long as you don't expect it to do fast! The advantages to me are:
-for sedate driving (old lady style) its very smooth and refined because there's no steps in the power delivery while changing gears like a normal auto.
-the fuel economy is very good especially on the highway. at 120kmh the revs sit at something like 2000rpm's.

BUT
If you floor it you do get the slipping clutch effect. It actually accelerates quite briskly once it's over the initial pull away. It's also interesting to see the different engine speeds the computer chooses to sit at when accelerating. in Sport mode it sits at about 4000rpm's while in Comfort mode its about 3200rpm's. If you use the kick down switch it'll sit near the red-line which is a bit out of character for this sort of car.

If you change the gearbox into 'manual mode' it behaves like a normal automatic with 7-speeds. Although when you do select another gear its not the fastest in the world to change.

My mum loves it and it really suits her sedate driving style. A CVT definitely doesn't suit a fast, powerful car but in a smaller engined car thats meant to be a runaround it's perfect.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I drove a cvt Honda 1500 extensively while on one of my missions to improve productivity within my work. It is easy to drive and what i like is the fuel economy when cruising as the revs drop to just enough to maintain the chosen velocity. Driving 140 at 2000rpm in a 1500 is really good. I have a vid or two to show how it accelerates at either max torque or max power dspending on your foot position. I found it a refreshing change and wouldn't mind one as a runabout, but not on a performance vehicle.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I drove my wife's Dodge Calibre CVT (most probably the same CVT as the Jeep), it was a dog :mad: Same as the OP said, if you press on it would hunt revs and the torque converter would actually start slipping and over heat the CVT fluid that it would go on limp mode.

We sold that car for a Honda Insight and it is an absolute pleasure. Revs are civil even for medium press and only really rev up when you want to pass a truck, which it does with ease :thumbs:

It is a day and night difference

In regards to Subaru CVT... Frost (used to frequent AO) reckon his dad's CVT was both nice and economical , especially compared to other Subaru

·
Registered
454 Posts
I also had one of those compASS courtesy cars with CVT.

very nice cruiser!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i've driven the audi ones quite extensively (all non-quattro auto audi are CVT now) and the main issue for me is how dimwitted it is when youre manuvering and shifting from D to R. I keep finding that it takes so long to hook up the gear i want that i've already got on the power then it engages and you end up wheel spinning outside woolies just trying to buy lunch

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
haha you get my meaning man... its just annoying caus you end up spinning the wheel just trying to drive normally caus youve got revs up by the time the bloody box decides to hook up a gear.

i also find that the CVT lends itself more to TDI type power than petrol cars. this judgement based on A4 2.0TDI vs A4 1.8T. I think may be that when you get on the power, the box has further to adjust on a petrol's rev range than a diesel. So say you're coasting along and then hoof it, in a diesel the difference between coasting and full power is say 3500rpm vs 5500rpm in a petrol so the box has to shift further to match the change in engine rpm to the same road speed when more power is demanded.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
i've driven the audi ones quite extensively (all non-quattro auto audi are CVT now) and the main issue for me is how dimwitted it is when youre manuvering and shifting from D to R. I keep finding that it takes so long to hook up the gear i want that i've already got on the power then it engages and you end up wheel spinning outside woolies just trying to buy lunch
What a messed up silly system then. Even my mother's Fiat 500 DuaLogic has learned to control throttle inputs until it becomes managable. It isn't exactly CVT though, but reverse quite fast, apply brake and shift into drive and you could put your foot flat: It will keep revs at 1500rpm while slowly engaging the clutch. And like I said before, the honda system is nice. I drove the new Balade and it was effortless and tractible for a 1500, changing down when requested to and changining up as soon as required. One should also note that if any of these vehicles have an eco mode, they drive best with eco mode engaged. More than 4 times the development goes into eco mode.

The smaller Hondas will either stay at peak torque when pushing on, and increase speed accordingly, or climb to full power rpm (sounding like a rather long gear, 4th or something) and remain at full power while making rapid progress.

http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/Car pics/20150522_104917.mp4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts