Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here get an N96 to pair with B&M? I can establish a connection and it all works but you have to do it manually! The auto connect just won't have it. I've reset the N96, the B&M and removed all pairings etc, but still no joy. My N73 works fine and the set up procedure is the same as far as I can see.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally once you have set the pair as 'authorised' they connect up automatically (my N73 does this). With the N96 you see some communication taking place between the B&M and the phone but the connection is never established. If on the N96 you manually try and connect to the B&M after a few goes you can get a connection and all is well from that point on. I've also found that if before you put the key in the car you start the N96 looking for the B&M it will connect up once you put the key in. All in all it's most annoying. I asked Nokia about it but got the usual response of 'if it's not a Nokia product you are trying to connect to we are not interested'. I've tried 2 other N96 and they are all the same.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on the latest V 11.101 firmware, so I guess I will just have to live with it or go back to the N73.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had another e-mail from Nokia today but their stance is the same. They are not interested in problems involving connection to Blue&Me and advise getting a Nokia car kit. I may take the alternative option of getting a Sony phone:p

N

·
0 Posts
Make sense to me. :)

I was eyeing up the w902 the other day.

Haven't tested it with the car so can't recommend it to
fix your problem, But all the other ones I've had have
been fine. (Requiring at max 1 firmware fix.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK I've given up on the Blue&Me as far as the phone is concerned:( It works well enough as an MP3 player using a USB stick (but not an Ipod as has been discussed many times). So I have fitted the Parrot 3200 LS that I had in my previous car. I downloaded the latest Parrot software, installed it, and hey presto every thing works.

Here is a summary:-

Phone = Nokia N96

Pairing - B&M OK, Parrot OK

Auto connect - B&M 1 in 10 times (maybe), Parrot OK

Upload contacts - B&M can be done manually, Parrot auto sync on connection

Voice recognition - B&M frustrating gets some numbers wrong, Parrot OK

Call quality - B&M poor (mic is on left side), Parrot OK

The final nail in the coffin for the B&M was that when you ran the GPS on the N96 (works great with Garmin software) and you finally did manage to connect the N96 to B&M the voiced directions were not transferred to the car speakers, in fact the voiced directions were lost presumably because the B&M is not connecting the media channel as well as the phone channel, needless to say the Parrot has got this sussed and the voiced directions come out the car speakers just fine.

The picture may save you time if you are looking for a switched ignition 12V supply (which does not exist on the ISO to the head unit). The red wire is the 12V Ign feed to the cig lighter and can be found on the white connector which with a bit of jiggling can be accessed as shown.

N

·
0 Posts
Dunno why B&M gets such a slating.

Mine (phone only version) has always worked 100% and
it blew every other system I'd used out of the water
and still does in most cases.

Simple, easy with clear integrated phone calls.

FYI No phone satnav software I know of will transfer
guidance audio over bluetooth. I have Wayfinder and it
is the same. You need A2DP compatibility to route
anything other than phone audio and most kits do not
yet support this.

Most of the gripes on here are down to sloppy BT implementations
by handset makers. Mostly to do with their protocol stacks
and how they implemented OBEX etc.

:rolleyes:

(FYI Nokias are ****e when used with Merc's latest BT system too.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's a question of support. You go onto the Parrot website download the update, transfer it to your Parrot, and it will work with all the latest phones as they come out. Where are the B&M updates? The promised server does not even exist! So B&M works with phones that were around 3 years ago (just about). As I said the MP3 side of things works well but I don't want a low tech phone just so I can use it in the car :rolleyes:

The N96 satnav voiced directions are transferred just fine via bluetooth and the Parrot to the car speakers.

N

·
0 Posts
Sorry, but the fault is with the phone.

B&M's Bluetooth implementation is, in my experience,
rock solid. If something doesn't work with it,
then that something is: wrong. You fix what's
wrong.

On the other hand Nokia's are renown for not playing
nice with other makes of BT kit and Apple iPhones
have the worst implementation of Bluetooth ever put
on a modern mobile phone.

SE phones, on the otherhand don't seem to have an issue.

Hmmm Ericsson originated BT, you don't think that has
anything to do with it after all this time? .....

:)

The N96 satnav voiced directions are transferred just fine via bluetooth and the Parrot to the car speakers.
Does it support A2DP?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Agreed, there is something different about the N96 BT (it's where I started) but clearly it has not defeated Parrot whereas it has defeated B&M.

I guess it does support A2DP as it all works.

So finally I have everything up and running:)

Media Player via B&M and a USB memory stick.
Hands free phone via Parrot 3200
Sat Nav via Nokia N96

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update:- The latest Nokia firmware update (V 30) has fixed the communication problem :) but as B&M does not support satnav voice streaming I'll still stick with the Parrot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts