Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just after a bit of guidance really brought this problem up in Steering Rack Bust thread but not sure it's a steering rack issue:- when i am stopped on an incline then pull away I get a deep low whine at low revs ( 800 - 1000) which seems to go as revs go up. Thought it was an issue with engine being cold but after trying loads of different scenarios today (after disappointing visit from DF Cardiff) and it is deffo when car is pointing upwards, hot or cold eases after a few miles then on next hill start bingo noisy again. Only problem in lovely car, so if there are any AR mechanics out there who can assist, please give me your thoughts!!:)

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is an 06 and doesn't have hill holder, also noise is definitely coming from engine bay can also feel some vibration through steering wheel which matches the pitch of the noise. thanks anyway all ideas welcome who knows one may hit the button :)

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update on noise from ...............

Mine is an 06 and doesn't have hill holder, also noise is definitely coming from engine bay can also feel some vibration through steering wheel which matches the pitch of the noise. thanks anyway all ideas welcome who knows one may hit the button :)
have taken the plunge and booked her into DF ( cross fingers twice) for an overnight inspection to see if they can put this to bed it's not really worse just seems to occur more randomly, even after journey ( completely quiet ) home of 30 mls in slow traffic turn into my village up hill to r/bout,,,, hey, whine welcome back!!!:mad:

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do they?? haven't found it! maybe was scared to come off brake on hill have to read handbook and try somewhere very quiet and empty!
Noise does seem to increase in volume and lower in pitch when steering moved and increases in pitch to point where inaudible once revs rise over 2k, comes and goes with no real pattern to it, very annoying, if was all time it would be easier to get it fixed. Booked in for early feb .

·
Registered
244 Posts
Power steering pump complaining perhaps? If I apply full lock really quickly, mine gives a bit of a groan occassionally. Not sure it that fits your description though, as wouldn't happen if you're pulling off uphill in a straight line.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it is to do with flow of steering fluid to /from pump as it tends to be when turning and the engine is at low revs such as pulling away at a junction, or at traffic lights, especially on incline strangely?

it's hilly in Wales see so lots of hills , ^^^^^^^^^^^^they're everywhere!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been cleaning car today and decided to check the power steering level and it was both Red/Brown and just over the Min level, where can I buy the correct fluid - only AR Dealership?? anyone know if I can put in an equivalent??

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no car is 06 but I did purchase the Alfa Cover Premium Care package so will see what I can get out of that.
Why does the resevoir need to be changed ??

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to this post at least, it is Tutela Gi/R.

It requires a new fluid reservoir as well.

Still got a warranty?
thanks checked that thread and will check my label see if it says GI/R.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
no car is 06 but I did purchase the Alfa Cover Premium Care package so will see what I can get out of that.
Why does the resevoir need to be changed ??
I was told by Mangoletsi (who noticed the problem) to ensure my local dealer changed the reservoir along with the fluid. I assume Alfa updated it :)

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did a oil comparison search on google and after many false trails found a modern comparitive in Castrol ATF TQ-DIII, a Dextron III style hydraulic oil designed for Auto gearboxes and steering systems. bought some put it in ( needed 140ml) and hey presto the noise has gone, went up some steep turns and winding lanes, seems ok . only concern is where did the fluid go how has it gone so low in only a few weeks?? have to monitor and will report back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts