Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noisy tyres, caused by uneven wear?
Any ideas guys?
Currently running Goodyear F1 gsd3. Great on my wifes 147, were great on the 156, but have become noisier as they have worn, making a noise that if I didnt know better was a knackered wheel bearing?
Help! Paul.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Some people do find that the GSD3's are a noisy tyre. Especially in the wider sizes, and when they get worn.
I would jack your car up and spin the wheels though to check the wheel bearings. If they have failed it should be fairly obvious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Def not bearings, just passed mot and I checked anyway! They have also been doing it for a few thousand miles! Thanks for info on Goodyears. Any idea on alternatives? I am running 215/45 17's, standard Alfa option multispoke alloy wheels
Thanks v much

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Reccommended alterantives to the Goodyears are Toyo proxes, Falken FK-452 (My choice). Kumho and Vredestein are also recommended here as are Dunlop Sport Maxx

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had some GSD3s and they started to get very noisy near to their end of life (8000 miles :eek: )

My GT geometry was miles out which didn't help. Got very uneven wear across the tread, hence they were replaced even though the tread in the centre was fine.
I've had Pirelli P Zero Neros for 14000 miles now (after a 4 wheel alignment) and they are just about ready to be replaced.
Will be trying Dunlop Sport Maxx next, less than £100 a corner

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
The Goodyear F1 gsd3's fell to pieces on my 156 - literally. Noticed for some time the noise comimg from them, this got worse and on closer inspection found the tread falling to pieces and the '50 pence' effect on the rears.

IMHO, avoid these tyres. I'm now on Dunlop SportMaxx, great tyre, very good grip and quiet at speed.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i put on kumho ecstas to get rid of very nasty cheap noisy tyres the ecstas are silent in comparison and very grippy :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My Dunlops ended up very noisy. Started from about 50% worn. Still got them on the rear but I won't put up with it much longer (75% worn). The fronts are now Goodyear Hydra and very quiet (now 50% worn)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that guys. Looks like everybody has bad experience of the Goodyears...Might try relatively cheap Kuhmo Ku31 or Falken ZE 512 or 912 or even 712. These range from 55 each to 65 from Protyre or Micheldever. Yes, I am being tight!! Guess the 4 wheel alignment could be a good idea too.
Comments/expereince of these tyres?
As regards ultimate grip and performance, do we really notice the difference on everyday driving? Away from the track, there is often little to choose, apart perhaps from wet weather grip? Maybe its just the onset of middle age...but if we really are driving to the limit of our tyres on the road this could raise the issue of responsible driving?!!!. Yup, that does make me sound an old fart!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just realised after my middle aged rant, that nobody had made performance comments on this thread, that was regarding tyre choice on the GT on another thread I was reading today.... I guess GT drivers may be a different 'type' of alfa driver...?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have just fitted some Falken Ze910 from Micheldever Tyres. All 4 cost under 250 fitted, balanced etc. Great price, will let you know what they are like...?!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts