Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My 159 has just started making an awful whining/groaning noise on startup.

Am I right in thinking that the reservoir is a weak point on these cars and should be replaced with the updated version?

Also, I have the red fluid in mine and want to change it to the GI/R green oil and see if that makes a difference.

Can anyone recommend any places online to get the reservoir and oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
eBay for reservoir but it’s only an issue with the 1.9’s
If you have another version you can remove the filter to clean it with a pair of long nose plier.
Is the fluid frothing up when it’s running?
As for replacing the fluid, this depends on you mileage, if she’s done a fair few thousand miles/60k plus it’s pointless changing to be fair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eBay for reservoir but it’s only an issue with the 1.9’s
If you have another version you can remove the filter to clean it with a pair of long nose plier.
Is the fluid frothing up when it’s running?
As for replacing the fluid, this depends on you mileage, if she’s done a fair few thousand miles/60k plus it’s pointless changing to be fair.
Mine is the 1.9 but done 115k.

I haven't really checked under the bonnet yet but if there is no point changing the fluid given the miles...is there anything else I can do before sourcing a new pump?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

I haven't really checked under the bonnet yet but if there is no point changing the fluid given the miles...is there anything else I can do before sourcing a new pump?
First check the reservoir, engine running with the cap off the reservoir tank, if there’s a problem you should see the fluid frothing up rather than being steady.
Don’t jump the gun just yet investing in an expensive pump!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had this on my 2.2. Changed the reservoir but didn’t help. Then, I noticed that the high pressure power steering hose had a tiny pin hole that would only spray fluid when the steering wheel was turned to either extremity (noticed it by fluke). Changed the hose and all is well. Pleasant surprise as I started thinking that it was the rack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

First check the reservoir, engine running with the cap off the reservoir tank, if there’s a problem you should see the fluid frothing up rather than being steady.
Don’t jump the gun just yet investing in an expensive pump!
I have just done this and can see a bit fluid bubbling and the fluid is actually brown and not red so will need flushing it out.

Took a small video which shows the bubbling but can't seem to upload it. Does this mean the likely culprit could be the reservoir and the wrong fluid?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have just done this and can see a bit fluid bubbling and the fluid is actually brown and not red so will need flushing it out.

Took a small video which shows the bubbling but can't seem to upload it. Does this mean the likely culprit could be the reservoir and the wrong fluid?
If it’s brown it could be that the fluid has been mixed in the past it also could just be corrosion mixing with the fluid?
Mine was more of a brown colour but at only 54K I took the risk to flush it through and put in just the green.
A few weeks later the seals went in the rack. On stripping it down we found that the shafts were badly corroded, a new rack had to be fitted as they cannot refurbish a rack with corroded shafts.
So before you make a choice, I would certainly replace the reservoir and pull back the gaiters on the rack to check for dampness and inspect those shafts. If they are not too bad, give them a light coating with grease and replace the gaiters ensuring there are no cracks or holes in them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had this on my 2.2. Changed the reservoir but didn’t help. Then, I noticed that the high pressure power steering hose had a tiny pin hole that would only spray fluid when the steering wheel was turned to either extremity (noticed it by fluke). Changed the hose and all is well. Pleasant surprise as I started thinking that it was the rack.
Hi Alvav, I seem to have the same problem, my high pressure power steering rubber hose has a tiny pin hole that is spraying fluid whenever I turn the wheel. I came across this guide https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_159_Brera_2.2_JTS_power_steering_hose_replacement.shtml
but I am just wondering if I really need to replace the entire assembly? As the cheapest I can find it is about 145 euros. How did you fix your pinhole in your high pressure line?

Thanks, Kieren

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hi Alvav, I seem to have the same problem, my high pressure power steering rubber hose has a tiny pin hole that is spraying fluid whenever I turn the wheel. I came across this guide https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_159_Brera_2.2_JTS_power_steering_hose_replacement.shtml
but I am just wondering if I really need to replace the entire assembly? As the cheapest I can find it is about 145 euros. How did you fix your pinhole in your high pressure line?

Thanks, Kieren
It one word No!
You can, if you have a good little hydraulics company near you they can make a hose up to fit.
You can bypass the small hose that commonly fails and replace a section, I’ve posted this repair on here in the past. Cost me £23 Vs £250 for a new assembly.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts