Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My indicator relay keeps clicking from time to time, usually when the car is cold. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Everything seems to work on the car, it's just a bit annoying.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not heard of it but perhaps you have the start of a known problem....dirt in the column switch or perhaps just a dodgy relay!

There is a thread on here about how to strip it down and clean...by Jimybob.

..........and welcome to our little playhouse ;) :D

wrinx

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Taking it out and reseating the contacts might help. The cold may be making it loosen up and "arcing".

Ralf S.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost certainly the column switch. Had the same problem on mine. Take of the shroud from the steering column, slide out indicator switch (held in place with small tabs, don't break!), undo four (?) screws holding the switch together, and carefully pull the thing apart. Clean contacts and reassemble. Problem solved. Easy.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
wrinx said:
Not heard of it but perhaps you have the start of a known problem....dirt in the column switch or perhaps just a dodgy relay!

There is a thread on here about how to strip it down and clean...by Jimybob.

..........and welcome to our little playhouse ;) :D

wrinx
Wrinx - where have you been? Jimybob's solution was for that very problem! :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't remember what the symptom was...............I was right tho :p :p

wrinx

·
Registered
60 Posts
my 155 does the same !!!!
ive bought new relay and worse?
been told its new fuse box time? £170 ive been quoted :cheese:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine does it too, changed it for a relay from another 155 that didn't have the problem and the clicking's still there.
Not convinced it's the column switch, putting gentle pressure on the switch in any direction makes no difference. And the indicators don't actually come on...
But it's an Alfa so logic doesn't apply, and it worked for you Gringo, so i'll be giving it a go when i get a chance :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Wrinx! Stuff like this (and i mean both threads) is proof of what a class site this is :)

Pmad's post made me chuckle a bit too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
el gringo said:
Almost certainly the column switch. Had the same problem on mine. Take of the shroud from the steering column, slide out indicator switch (held in place with small tabs, don't break!), undo four (?) screws holding the switch together, and carefully pull the thing apart. Clean contacts and reassemble. Problem solved. Easy.
Thanks for the advice, finally got round to the task this week and its seems to have worked. Give that man a cigar. (PS. Just put the Red Bullet through its MOT - cost £12.30 plus the inspection fee, not bad for an 8 year old car!)

Also just acquired a cousin for the the stable, a 1983 Lancia Prisma 1600 with 40k on the clock and no serious rust! Any other Lancia owners out there? :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi Rob got 4 Lancia Thema's S3 3 x Turbo 1 X V.I.S in the family if that counts :rolleyes: :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realise this nearly 10 years later but this thread helped me out today - was about to buy a new relay and just thought I'd quickly check the forums, and voila!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts