Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only just started but both off-side doors now make a loud 'bang' as they reach the 'stay' point of opening. The near-side doors open smoothly and stop at the correct point but the others are really loud. There's no sign of damage so I'm wondering whether it's just a matter of spraying some WD40 in there. Anyone else heard of this, and if so, what did you do?

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
It's probably the door check mechanisms. It's a common fault on 145/146s - I don't know if 156s use the same components.

Try tightening the screws above & below the check mechanisms where they go into the door; greasing the bar that goes into the door may also help' If it's the same part as the 145/146, however, it's likely that the bracket holding it to the door has broken, in which case replacement is the only permanent cure.

L

·
0 Posts
most likely the pin that acts as a hinge is worn & is allowing the strap to slap back/forth making that awful noise. You'll need to replace the complete check strap. I can change them in approx 10 min's using 'speaker-hole' surgery

·
Registered
227 Posts
door straps.....

£30 for the drivers door, £16 for the passenger door.

wd40 is a cleaner/dispersant. not an oil.

i wouldnt oil them anyway. it needs a decent grease.
as Lacken says, they are easy to change, and seem to affect all models.including my 147 !!!!!! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got out my socket set and tightened the bolts up. Oddly only the bottom ones on each door were loose. The rear one, hidden behind a rubber seal was finger loose and once tightened the sound has al but gone. The torx bit I used was a smidge too small so I'm off to Halfords in a bit to pick up bigger one just to give them a final tightening. WD40 didn't really help but I suppose it was never going to in this case.

Thanks for the advice and I hope this helps someone else out.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Well I got out my socket set and tightened the bolts up. Oddly only the bottom ones on each door were loose. The rear one, hidden behind a rubber seal was finger loose and once tightened the sound has al but gone.
That's an indication that they may be broken. The mounting screws screw into two lugs on the check unit, which are formed by bending a pressing some 5mm thick at right angles. Because the press tool leaves a sharp edge in the corner it leaves a stress raiser which the bending operation exacerbates, leading to fatigue failure in prolonged operation . . . probably more than you needed (or wanted!) to know!

The torx bit I used was a smidge too small so I'm off to Halfords in a bit to pick up bigger one just to give them a final tightening..
It'll most likely be a Ribe driver you need . . . Halford's probably haven't heard of them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts