Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member having only recently acquired my 2003 plate 156 Sportwagon (1.8 T.Spark).

Within a week of having the car 4th gear gave up on it, but with the help of these wonderful forums I have got that sorted by clearing the 'gunk' out of the bottom of the gearbox - woo!

However, I have now come across problem number 2. In 1st and reverse gears the car makes a moaning / wailing sound when starting to move. Having experimented it seems to do it more when stressing the clutch, such as moving uphill or giving it a few too many beans on setting off, but this doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule.

I've had a search of the forums and haven't relaly been able to dig out anything to help on it, so has anyone any ideas of what the problem may be? or of somewhere that may be able to tell me? Fingers crossed its not going to be an expensive exercise as funds are low at the moment.

Cheers for any help,

Rob S.

G

·
0 Posts
did you change the oil when you cleaned the gunk out?
What sort of mileage has it done?
Could just be the clutch bearing what year is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 52 plate (2003) model... I've heard it referred to as a partial facelift?

To give you an idea, this was the first time in a 15 year driving history that I took a spanner to any car I've owned, so making 4th gear work was a whole new experience for me, but work it does :) . I didn't change the gearbox oil when I sorted this problem out as I wasn't 100% sure how (plus I couldn't actually remove the plastic undertray so kind of bent it out the way whilst working).

It has done just shy of 93000 miles.

G

·
0 Posts
Would try an oil change first see if it improves .
You will need a sump key but cant remember what size .
If you search on here there will probably be some info and pics if not I'll check the size key (large hex bit) you need ?
It is quite straight forward . There is a drain plug on the side/rear of the box and a filler on the front can't remember if they use the same size key? But do a search on here for how to change the g/box oil and see how you go :thumbs:
It is probably due a change anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my 156 the drain plug key is 12mm hex. Advice from other threads on the forum is to undo the filler plug before you drain it so you know you'll be able to fill it up again. There are two drain plugs; one drains down to the diff, the other drains the whole box. Both drain plugs are tight for access; a standard allen key won't get in there, neither will a hex in socket with ratchet attached so a variety of workarounds have been documented in threads.
I use one of these with a ring spanner over the body of it.
Oh, and you will have to get the undertray off! There may be a variety of fixings depending on who replaced it last, but officially there are 3 torx screws attaching it at the front (they also attach to bumper lower edge), one torx screw either side attaching it to the plastic guards inside the wheelarches and 2 10mm bolts at the rear attaching it to the subframe. Any or all of them will be rusted solidly so expect to have to drill them out/grind them off or other such nonsense. If you find cable ties someone else has suffered before you so say a prayer of thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts