Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 156 2.4 JTD, which is a lovely car to drive. With the state of the roads around here, it would appear that I need to replace some or all of the wishbones on the car as there are bangs from all corners depending on the road surface.

This would appear to be a costly exercise but I am reasonably good at DIY and am thinking about tackling the beast soon, before the MOT in July!!

I have also read on here about Powerflex bush replacement and I need to know if this is a DIY job or not??

When the car was in a few months ago getting the new cambelt fitted, I asked the mechanic to have a look at the bushes to find out what ones I needed but when I picked up the car, he said that he couldn't find any problem with the bushes, but that cannot be right, if I don't see a pot hole and hit it, there is quite a clunk from the suspension, so the bushes must be suspect?? The car has done 60,000 miles.

So, back to my question, Powerflex bushes or not and if not and I replace all the wishbones and drop links and ARB bushes for that matter, how deep will I have to dig into my pocket and where is the best place to buy? Are the ones on fleabay OK? [Both upper and lower wishbones and drop links for £160]

Keith

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
sound slike your ARB bushes are worn.

IMHO you'd be best to replace them, or the entire ARb + 2 drop links & then reasses the wishbones

i've used wishbones form ebay, worked fine for me.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yeah wishbones from fleebay work fine. I found when the bottom ball joints were going then it made more of a knocky noise but the upper wishbones made a rubber squeaky noise. Might help you identify if the arb's don't cure it although that would be my first bet too.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
from my experience:

squeak = upper wish bone bushes

knocking = ball joint of drop links or wishbones

a bassy thumping sound when travelling on rough ground = arb bushes

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, maybe this is not going to cost too much!! (Yea Right!!]

1. I presume that I should replace both front and rear ARB bushes?
2. If I go under the car, will it be obvious that the ARB bushes are shot.
3. How do you test the ARB bushes?
3. Why would I need to replace the ARB as well as the bushes? Rust??

K

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks guys, maybe this is not going to cost too much!! (Yea Right!!]

1. I presume that I should replace both front and rear ARB bushes?
2. If I go under the car, will it be obvious that the ARB bushes are shot.
3. How do you test the ARB bushes?
3. Why would I need to replace the ARB as well as the bushes? Rust??

K
When my ARB bushes were gone on my 147 I was able to tell by grabbing the ARB where it meets the drop link and giving it a good firm shake to check for play. I did this on both sides and found that there was vertical play on the passenger side.
I replaced the ARB and this stopped a clunking / knocking noise that was driving me insane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts