Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
my x reg 2.0 ts estate has been suffering with a noisy auxiliary belt for the last couple of months have changed the belt and auxiliary belt tensioner but to no avail ! there are 6 pulleys that the belt wraps around would appreciate a some help please chaps as to what the other pulleys are and do .....and how easy they are to change :confused:

Many thanks Daren

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
Did you change the fixed tensioner as well as the moving one?

On my last 156 it was the fixed one that was making the noise.

They are about £25 IIRC

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
The fixed tensioner is easy to change. Remove the aux belt by releasing the moving tensioner. Use a 15mm spanner and turn it anti-clockwise to release the tension.

You should be able to tell if the fixed tensioner is worn by spinning it, usually if they are noisy they will feel rough when spun.

To change it you need a 15mm recessed spanner. A 15mm socket on a ratchet won't fit due to the chassis leg being in the way.

As for the alternator bearings, I am sure you would need to remove the alternator which is a right royal pain in the arse, due to it being right at the back of the engine. I am pretty sure either the subframe or the inlet manifold needs to come off to allow you to get to it.

It is most likely the fixed tensioner though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've just had mine fixed. Basically my belt was wearing out so i had it changed. but the pulley was the reason it was wearing out - something that wasn't detected at the time. A couple of weeks later the belt snapped and I lost the power steering whilst driving - to cut a long story short, the belt was replaced under warranty but again within a couple of weeks the same thing happened. My mechanic - Oscar from McFarlane Automotive - a top chap and awesome mechanic - did some deeper checking and found that the pulley had worn out and was moving slightly which was causing the belt to slip off and/or shredding part of the belt.

Now i'm not sure if it's the alternator pulley, but suspect it might be because i got the battery charge warning on the centre display

Hopefully it's been sorted now but could be a major issue if this happens again, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts