Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
56 plate 159, 1.9 JTDm.

My air con fan (specifically the air con - it only makes a noise when the air con is turned on - standard fans are quiet) is kicking out a grinding noise. I have tried blasting hot or cold at full whack for a good 10 minutes and it makes no difference at all.

Where is the air con fan (or whatever is likely to be causing the noise) located? Is it something I can access in order to clean / check it's not catching something?

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers - can I check the levels easily myself?

Where's the best / most cost effective place to get it regassed? I saw a bloke from Halfords re-gassing a car in their car park with a handheld pressurised canister and a connector.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Kwik Fit offer a no fix no fee service, its an automated machine, decants the gas, pressure tests and recharges automatically.

Its probably the only thing I can recommend them for.

You cant check it yourself and disposable canisters are frankly dubious as to their legality.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I used Kwik Fit because I thought, how can they balls that up?

They didn't close my bonnet properly, luckily my journey home wasn't a fast one.

Idiots.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This is one of the things where I actually use the official Alfa dealership.
I use them because they offer the Air Con Bomb, not only do they do the air con gas and filter but use a chemical bomb to clean out the air con air lines. The car smells fresh and runs extremely cold after.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
them chemical bombs are only the canisters you can buy from any decent motor factors you set off inside the car and leave it running on recirc for 10 mins or so.... nothing special and you're probably paying a fair whack for the privilage.

it has nothing to do with cleaning the aircon lines are aircon is a sealed system, they can be the cleanest thing on the planet but you won't be sniffing them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
them chemical bombs are only the canisters you can buy from any decent motor factors you set off inside the car and leave it running on recirc for 10 mins or so.... nothing special and you're probably paying a fair whack for the privilage.

it has nothing to do with cleaning the aircon lines are aircon is a sealed system, they can be the cleanest thing on the planet but you won't be sniffing them.
I know what you are saying but after a local national failed to get my air con working properly last year, I used my local alfa dealership and got good results - an extra £20 over what the original failed attempt cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to Kwik Fit at the weekend – they were running a 30% offer so it worked out just over £34 instead of £49.

Despite being booked in for 3pm, I didn’t leave until about 4.15pm – they hooked the machine up at about 3.30pm and appeared to forget about it until I asked how it was going.

The whirring noise is still there, but it’s much less pronounced and much less frequent. I’ll monitor it to see how things go. Seems to be fully functional and goes as cold as it ever has done in the past.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine has the same after a recent regas...like a metallic whirring which changes pitch with the accelerator. It's intermittent though and pressing the compressor button stops it, but also it cures it for a while - this week it has been fine...ahhhh, Alfas :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
For those still with the metallic whirring.
It's probably not got enough pressure.
When mine was originally re-gassed I had the noise. My mechanic did a bit of research and found an update from Alfa stating that the pressure can be higher than the original recommendation.
So took it back in, increased the pressure and hey presto no more noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same noise with an Alfa 159 1.9jtdm. The pressure of the airco gas was ok but during vacuuming testing no oil came out. By adding the correct oil and gas quantity this issue has been solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts