Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help....Just started to get a "rumbling noise" when using reverse.
Seems to be coming from the engine bay but cannot be entirely sure. Almost sounds like a blowing exhaust or a wheel rubbing and (perhaps it is me) giving a bit of judder through the steering wheel.
The noise happens regardless of whether or not there is a any steering lock on or not.
There is no noise with any of the forward gears and I cannot see anything trapped under the car.
The car is just over three years old with 53000 miles on the clock.
Any one any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For further info it is a manual gearbox on a 1.4 Multiair
****Problem resolved*****
I already had the car booked in next week for a service at Automark in Ruthin (following recommendations from other local Alfa users) so I phoned them to see if they had any ideas as to what could be wrong. They immediately offered to have someone look at it if I could get the car to them which I duly did 20 minutes.
They found a piece of rock (about the size of three eggs) in the engine bay preventing full operation of the gearbox.
Everything working properly now thanks to Automark. Excellent customer service so far. Hope it continues.

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. :)

I had a noise appear on an Alfa 146Ti once which happened when the car was reversed.

It tuened out to be a stone stuck inside the brake caliper.

When I took the wheel off to look, it just fell out when I spun the wheel around quickly by hand.

Sometimes things which seem serious turn out to be really simple.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
****Problem resolved*****
I already had the car booked in next week for a service at Automark in Ruthin (following recommendations from other local Alfa users) so I phoned them to see if they had any ideas as to what could be wrong. They immediately offered to have someone look at it if I could get the car to them which I duly did 20 minutes.
They found a piece of rock (about the size of three eggs) in the engine bay preventing full operation of the gearbox.
Everything working properly now thanks to Automark. Excellent customer service so far. Hope it continues.
Glad it was easily sorted but it does raise the question as to how a chunk that size got in the engine bay given there is a large under tray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts