Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old 80's GTV6 I have bad alternator interference on MW and LW, this is only when the engine is running and changes along with the RPM.
This is typical alternator whine. Probably as I have an uprated alternator. I know the usual comment would be 'you have a dodgy earth' and this might be true but on a 1980's alfa you'd be lucky for it to work let along have a perfect earthing system!!!

What I'd like to know is does anyone know if a noise suppressor is fitted to the 'ignition live' or the 'permanent live'? This is the link to the item.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1904623635...84.m1497.l2649

The instructions say 'connect to the red wire', which is fine but on an alfa that can be permanent or ignition live, depending on its age or version.

The Mark 1 156 is the reverse of the Mark 2 156, the GTV6 is a mess too as originally mine didn't even have an ignition live for the radio!!

Cheers,
Peter

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Arguably, one on each! But usually it's on the permanent live powerwire. If that doesn't help, try the ignition, and if that doesn't help, consider adding another.

Worth upgrading the earth for the radio. Rather than have the earth wire connected via the factory wiring, redirect it directly to a solid chassis point.

:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arguably, one on each! But usually it's on the permanent live powerwire. If that doesn't help, try the ignition, and if that doesn't help, consider adding another.

Worth upgrading the earth for the radio. Rather than have the earth wire connected via the factory wiring, redirect it directly to a solid chassis point.

:)
Yeah that was my first thought, put one on each, both lines supply power afterall!

Yeah I am thininking of drilling and bolting the floor/firewall to give me a nice new clean earthing point. Originally I'd have used the old heater earth but that has been covered older now by the new heater.

As I am fitting a new interior I'll be replacing the speaker wires etc so I might go the full hog. Put suppressors on both cables, create a new earth and replace the speaker wires. Mind you temporarly I'll only have two speakers as my front door cards don't have speaker holes. I might make a housing for them behind the radio if self.

Thanks,
Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts