Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

On my old 80's GTV6 I have bad alternator interference on MW and LW, this is only when the engine is running and changes along with the RPM.
This is typical alternator whine. Probably as I have an uprated alternator. I know the usual comment would be 'you have a dodgy earth' and this might be true but on a 1980's alfa you'd be lucky for it to work let along have a perfect earthing system!!!

What I'd like to know is does anyone know if a noise suppressor is fitted to the 'ignition live' or the 'permanent live'? This is the link to the item.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190462363520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The instructions say 'connect to the red wire', which is fine but on an alfa that can be permanent or ignition live, depending on its age or version.

The Mark 1 156 is the reverse of the Mark 2 156, the GTV6 is a mess too as originally mine didn't even have an ignition live for the radio!!

Cheers,
Peter

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
The Link may help you out Peter.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:tN9NJ0CfDuoJ:www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/63140d1208785232-alternator-whine-noise-supression-guide.pdf+ignition+noise+suppression&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShyprr5W-nZiI9QFK1C8V69GSVgg6HzL4IlItYVsbMetwj7s9PzO5OonAvzmKA1L0g-j-gDuF1J89UQ7uk_ME2SPU_HjfjhvHcG9TAHWNrtHk6N8NtjRr7NaW-8bZXpqCgqyfqW&sig=AHIEtbRB9jA2S7_jr73HSPw--p0MrDW5ng

You only need the Suppressor to work when the Ignition is on so that would be the best place for it. In days of yore the solution to most of these problems was to put a Capacitor almost anywhere in the Engine Bay, one end to a +ve side and the other end to Ground, usually worked but not always. I suspect that with the big increase of ICE there may well be better solutions available, I'll leave you to do the research ! If you need any help give us another shout.

Did you sort out your Battery problem ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Link may help you out Peter.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:tN9NJ0CfDuoJ:www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/63140d1208785232-alternator-whine-noise-supression-guide.pdf+ignition+noise+suppression&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShyprr5W-nZiI9QFK1C8V69GSVgg6HzL4IlItYVsbMetwj7s9PzO5OonAvzmKA1L0g-j-gDuF1J89UQ7uk_ME2SPU_HjfjhvHcG9TAHWNrtHk6N8NtjRr7NaW-8bZXpqCgqyfqW&sig=AHIEtbRB9jA2S7_jr73HSPw--p0MrDW5ng

You only need the Suppressor to work when the Ignition is on so that would be the best place for it. In days of yore the solution to most of these problems was to put a Capacitor almost anywhere in the Engine Bay, one end to a +ve side and the other end to Ground, usually worked but not always. I suspect that with the big increase of ICE there may well be better solutions available, I'll leave you to do the research ! If you need any help give us another shout.

Did you sort out your Battery problem ?
Morning Nige. Funny enough I fitted the noise suppressor and i thought must be only on the permanent live as the ignition must be the 'trigger'. However after reading bits including that link you found too it implies it must be on the ignition live. Probably is best to have one on both lines!!!! Anyway I'll have a look when I have refitted my aerial, can't do it at the mo, its WAY TO COLD! The silicone won't set below 2 degrees I would have thought!

Battery wise I'll be honest I haven't had a change to look yet. My 156 needed some love for the last 2 weeks. The suspension needed cleaning up and greasing as it was creaking. My new radio was also causing a pulsing of the electrical system, which I tracked to the new steering wheel controls (the permanant live and ignition live needed reversing).

I've actully sent the ring air compressor back as to be honest as you said it was crap.

I've also got an entire new interior to fit to the old girl now. The Mark 3 version. SO I'll have to see what gets done first!!

AT LEAST MY 156 IS OK (at the moment!)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Morning Peter, sounds like you are going to be busy !

Cold up here too with a bit of snow around but I'll be braving it soon to go and sus out a Meet location. Yet again I'll have to take the TS :( as the roads are wet, snowy and full of grit.

I'm putting new/old Spring Pans on my TS next week, well a friend who has access to a Lift is, right now it's creaking like a good 'un, a bit worrying. As you say it's too cold to do much outside and tbh didn't fancy the job much.

Ring Compressor ? Not guilty m'lud, never had a Ring..... :eek:. I did mention that the 12 Volt Mini Compressors I've had aren't brilliant and don't last long but at a tenner each I'm not complaining !

The Radio interference can be a bugger to sort out at time, in the past I've spent hours sticking Capacitors and Earth's everywhere and some times you just can't eliminate it completely. These days I'm not into ICE so as I mentioned there are probably better solutions around these days. Just have to be patient I guess.

Enjoy your little jobs, sounds fun. I still have the Sunroof on the '6 to replace, really ought to think about getting it painted before battle commences......

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
do you still have a capacitor fitted on the back of the alternator (as you mention you changed the alternator to a high output one, many people forget to swop the old capacitor to the new alt. and this is what is designed to suppress alternator whine on AM/FM radio)?
usually a 2,2 µf (microfarad)/100v capacitor, Bosch # 0 290 800 036 - connection goes to simple +, not D+

this photo's from a spider alt., but cannot imagine it is any different tbh.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you still have a capacitor fitted on the back of the alternator (as you mention you changed the alternator to a high output one, many people forget to swop the old capacitor to the new alt. and this is what is designed to suppress alternator whine on AM/FM radio)?
usually a 2,2 µf (microfarad)/100v capacitor, Bosch # 0 290 800 036 - connection goes to simple +, not D+

this photo's from a spider alt., but cannot imagine it is any different tbh.
Ooooh thats a good point. I fitted the new alternator 2 years ago but have no idea now if it was there or not. I'll see if I can have a look, mind you it will have to come off to tell no doubt! I have only just got round to fixing the radio noises as I was working on the aerial and it obviously was highlighted.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts