Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue I find after starting the car from cold and has happened since I replaced the clutch and release bearing a few years ago. It sounds like a whirring noise when in neutral or in reverse, but goes away if i pump the clutch pedal. Doesn't happen once the car is warmed up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
mine does that,also with relatively new bearing. I was told that "they all do it" and there isnt much you can do about it.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think you'll find it's not the clutch release bearing, it's the first motion shaft bearing at the very front of the box.
Noise goes away when clutch pedal engaged fully.
Yes, most of them do it, (all my three cars have done it, all have had new C/R bearings), and it does decrease in noise once warm.
Most people incorrectly diagnose the problem as the release bearing.
Mine is noticeable if the idle is less than 900-950 rpm, a slight increase in idle speed to that setting takes the noise away.
Steve

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree with GTA R's diagnosis. This is common on a lot of vehicles, even modern Fiestas and focus which is a totally different setup engineering wise. The gearbox noises tend to be amplified on the 105 cars so cause unecessaray alarm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts