Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Sorry to post what is probably similar to so many before but my GTV has a noise... To my ear, it's louder on the belt side, and top of, the engine. It's there if I take the auxiliary belt off so can rule that out. Cambelt and tensioner are brand new. Variator changed at the weekend. The noise is not always there, and sometimes is quiet on startup but starts a couple of minutes in.

Everything looks in order under the valve cover. I've had the head off around 18 months ago (a few thousand miles ago - not my main car) and no issues so far as I could see. This time round everything seems reasonably wet with oil up there.

I'm not sure where to go with this having replaced the variator and inspected the cams, lifters etc. If it were oil starvation I'd have thought it would be worse on startup rather than the opposite? I'll attach a video - to me this doesn't sound like lifters as it has an almost squealy sound to the noise, if that makes sense? (This may not pick up on the video).

If all else fails I'll take it to a garage.

Video on Youtube.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an idler pulley bearing.
Thanks Barby. All the pulleys are relatively new (within 18 months, cambelt one is new). Wondering now if it could be the balance belt tensioner as the belt looks to have slipped a couple of teeth? Thought I replaced this recently as well but perhaps not.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Armoor, I took it out to inspect it (18 months ago) and seemed fine. Probably should have replaced it but forgot to order one. Do you think that could be it?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
For the price of a new one it is always worth changing it when doing the belts. That noise sounds like a rumbling bearing from somewhere, you say there's no difference if the aux belt is off and you've changed all the tensioners so that's all that is left that is easy. What about the balance shafts and their bearings? You did do up the pinch bolts on the variator and crankshaft pulley didn't you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah they're all tight - triple checked. It wasn't making this noise when I did the belts 18 months ago.

I think I will whip the balance belt off and have a listen, then proceed further in. It's irritating because it sounded fine when I started the car up with cam and balance belts on so I assumed the variator was the problem.

On reflection I agree this does sound like a rattly bearing.

Well fingers crossed I get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi both

Took the balance belt off and no noise. Put the aux belt back on and no noise still. The balance shafts themselves feel OK so I'm going to replace the tensioner (new when cambelt was done but must be crap) and see how it goes. It's got a little play in the bearings, maybe that's it!?

Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts