Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody i have an alfa 156 veloce 1.8 t spark 2003 plate, its a lovely car but the other day i noticed a rattle in the engine it almost sounds like something is loose ! a very tin like sound but i have noticed that if i press the clutch pedal down the noise dissapears

Any advice very helpful?

Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Gearbox input shaft bearing.

The drive to the gearbox is disconnected with the clutch down, hence why the noise goes when the clutch is pressed.

Normally if it is a clutch release bearing it will only make a noise the the clutch pressed.

Either way it is a gearbox off job to replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for your replies!! my mechanic has diagnosed it as the gearbox input shaft bearing as suggested by symon
He said it is in the early stages of going i was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough price as to what this would cost to replace and how long roughly it will take for this to ruin the gearbox

Thanks

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
thanks everyone for your replies!! my mechanic has diagnosed it as the gearbox input shaft bearing as suggested by symon
He said it is in the early stages of going i was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough price as to what this would cost to replace and how long roughly it will take for this to ruin the gearbox

Thanks
It’s really best to just change the gearbox for a decent used one - we do it for £500 all in, including the gearbox, VAT and labour. Obviously I also supply a warranty with the used gearbox.

It is hard to say how long your current box will last, it’s a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario.

Cheers

Laurence

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
It may get to a stage where you end up with oil leaking into the bell housing, which can make the clutch slip.

This is because the bearing will allow more and more movement of the input shaft as it deteriorates, and it will damage the oil seal.

I would also get a new clutch and slave fitted when the box is changed, unless they are very new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts