Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for some advice.

I have just refitted the cylinder head after a blown head gasket and i am getting a clicking/ tapping sound coming from the inlet valve camshaft when I increase the revs to over 2000 to 3000. However when I disconnected the variator solenoid the noise stops. But soon as I reconnect its back again!

When the engine is idling there is no noise. and no noise on start up.

Is this a problem with the variator or the timing?

The car is an 2001 156 1.8

I appreciate your advice

Thanks

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
It can take a while to refill the oil in the hydraulic valves have you driven it or just run it ?
Variator I think is more of a noise at start and idle was it ok before ?
Did you use a TDC gauge and proper cam locks when you put it back together

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It can take a while to refill the oil in the hydraulic valves have you driven it or just run it ?
Variator I think is more of a noise at start and idle was it ok before ?
Did you use a TDC gauge and proper cam locks when you put it back together
Hi,

I haven't driven the car I have just run it.
There was no noise before the new head gasket.
I did use a TDC gauge and cam locks

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is to recheck the timming make sure the tensioner is still pointing to the hole mark on the fixing plate . Check the belt is still tight across the two cam wheels
I know however that when I first started mine after changing the engine it sounded like a bag of spanners till the oil had circulated properly probably 15/20 mins of running.then got better after each start after but worth checking it to avoid doing any damage.

G

·
0 Posts
One other thing did you remove the variator solonoid control thing on the head as I cleaned mine inside it can get a bit glupy and sort of blocks the valve hole in the bottom could be causing poor oil feed if its got mayonnaise in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I re checked the timing and It was out by 1 to 2 teeth on both camshafts. I've put this right now so hopefully once every thing is back together I shall see. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all you good advice.

Mark

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
oh dear - the sound you were hearing before was the valves hitting the pistons when the variator advances the inlet valve opening. Lets hope nothing is bent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is well. Started up and ran with no problems. In hindsight I should have rechecked with the cam locks after rotating the crank with the belt fitted to make sure that everything was still aligned. :)

lesson learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts