Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't spoil it but any potential owners need to read it quickly !!!!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Let me guess...it comes last. Beaten by the SEAT that wasn't even in the line up :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
got 4 stars and a pretty good review on their 90 second video test

they recommend it above an a3

·
Administrator
87,773 Posts
Unless it contains a discount voucher :cheese: I don't think it really matters what they or any other auto magazine prints ;)

U

·
0 Posts
They even did a one-page test drive on the Brera 1750TBi and apart from the springing, they quite liked that too. (But only 3 stars out of 5)

By Wednesday 25th this will be LAST weeks edition - so be quick if you want to read it in full

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Yup, I read it, very positive although no surprise that the German HAD to win. If I did use magazine articles to help me choose my car (which I don't) I'd pick the G over the Golf anyday - its looks and character more than blow the equivalent items on the Golf out of the water and more than make up for any perceived shortcomings.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres a 6 page detailed comparison test in the magazine.

To put you all out of your misery - it came a very, very close 2nd to the Golf and beat the Focus.
:tut: Incorrect - it DREW with the golf as best in class :wow:

They couldn't split them so left the Golf as the holder of the award like they do with the Ashes :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The last two paragraphs sum it up. This is after he eliminates the Focus (!!) as being just a little bit behind the times:

Andrew Frankel - Autocar group test said:
So, Golf or Giulietta, Giulietta or Golf? Truly in the hundreds of group tests I've refereed, I can recall none closer, which is a colossal compliment to the Alfa. It's not just a head or heart thing, because the Guilietta is a perfectly sensible family car and the Golf a never less than engaging place from which to tackle a decent road. But the VW's defences are so complete that not even the talented Giuiletta can land a killer blow.

So, think of this outcome like an Ashes tour: if the series is drawn, whoever already has the trophy keeps it, which s what the Golf gets to do here. It really was that close.
They mention the new Astra in passing, but only to say that it's not in the same class as the Focus, Golf or Giulietta. I get the feeling they started this as a four-way group test, then realised that Astra wasn't in the running and "Alfa Beats Focus (but surely it can't beat the Golf too?)" was a better headline -- it's the headline that's on the front of the magazine after all.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Yes, I read this when it came out and Autocar obviously rate it, which is good. However, other publications don't, as I mentioned elsewhere, so potential owners need to try it and decide for themselves. They probably won't, though, as cars like this are bought because of the way they look. For example, a large proportion of BMW Minis are sold (to women, apparently) without even a test drive...! Sums it up, really :rolleyes:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good that it's close to the Golf, but beating the Focus is pretty irrelevant as it's about to be replaced. It's a bit like saying it's better than a 147.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, I read this when it came out and Autocar obviously rate it, which is good. However, other publications don't, as I mentioned elsewhere, so potential owners need to try it and decide for themselves.
Agreed - Even Autocar's reviewers seem to contradict each other - Their review of the 170MA was excellent and praised the cars handling and supportive seats :thumbs:(Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk) . However, their review of the CL wasn't so positive and criticised the handling and "unsupportive" seats :confused: (Alfa Giulietta 1750 TBi Cloverleaf - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk)

Having test driven one myself I think it's excellent and have one on order as my next company car - Each to their own. :)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Neither of those were "bad" reviews though. I haven't seen a single review of Giuletta that was outright bad. Even the German magazines say good things in the text, praising the car's ride, engine, gearbox and styling, and only slate the Giulietta when they start assigning points to things (in a test constructed such that the German brand car will come out ahead, where ride comfort or crash safety is scored with the same weight as "luggage space with the seats down").

I'm too young to have been reading magazines when the Sud came out, but I cannot remember any new Alfa getting such glowing reviews. Even 156 and 147's were "great car, but not up to the German build standards, and temperamental" rather than the Giulietta's most common verdict: "great car, as sensible a choice as a Golf, and it's an Alfa too"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts