Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I brought home a '89 Alfa 33, I was intending in using in some club events, starting with a Khanacross - Rally speak for driving on the dirt for a run, though flags, loosing 5 sec's for each one you hit.
This is my 7th Alfa, previous one's have been sud's, and 33's. But it has been ten years since having my last. So I'm a bit rusty, and definitely unsure about the fuel injected of this car (all my other's have been Carb's).
So I have this car, which smell's very rich, and has no low rev's power/torque. I have checked the air filter, replaced the spark plugs, checked the disti' cap and rotor, cleaned them up, and have also, adjusted a white screw on the bosch box, that sits between the air box, and manifold. - I am hoping this is the air mixture screw. I found a reference if I turned this screw counter-clockwise, actually I turned it 12 full turns - counterclockwise.
The exhaust does not smell as rich, and I can now reverse out of the sloped driveway, but it is still not right. It has trouble climbing a hill.
The bosch box has jetronic on it, but not much else.

There does not seem to be much to adjust (that I can see).

I am looking for suggestions of what I can do....
Help!

Regards

Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JOL. Yep, the flap inside the Jetronics box moves freely - I had a look at this yesterday. But you are right, I need to check the timing! Do you know of a website where I can find the settings for standard tune?
Under the bonnent tells me the timing is 8 degress from BTDC. Got an idea what the air mixture screw position should be? (how many screw turns from lock?)

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
29 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JOL, Nice source of info. Thanks!
- I will have a closer look - can I search the contents, or thumb through each page?

So, I have been pondering and discussing the no power with my bro, who unfortunately is hundreds of kilometres away.
- he tells me after the timing check the air flow metre resistance and then for vacuum leaks.
So, this leads to two others questions?
q1. What version of the Bosch Jetronic fuel injected system is in the car? (1989 1.7IE, Aussie Version)
q2. Therefore, which pins should be measured to get the air flow meter resistance? And what should the resistance be?
(Ok, that was three questions)...

Cheers Maaaate.
Nick

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont think you can either, but you can jump to a certain page, depending on your pdf viewer ofcourse.

I'm not sure about the version at all, but according to this pdf (that actually covers the next generation of 33's) as long as it is jetronic, it's lh3-jetronic.

Here's a small index I've made when searching along in the pdf myself, for my -89 1.7ie 4x4 SportWagon, Swedish.

index sid 5
cambelt 00-42 94 133-138 and 502
oil 363
lift out a lh3-jetronic engine 396
Internal och external engine parts 434
crankshaft measurements 374,518
crank bearings 487
exhaust 04-33 1013
injection 04-E 953
Fuel supply 04-F 971
Fuel vapour emission 982
Adjustment and check of the ignition 04-H 994
ignition o charging 05-11 1038
ignition curve 1046
cooling 07-1 jetronic 07-P 1064
clutch 12-A 1271
electronics 40-A 1174
gearbox 1297
rear hub for drum brakes 1751
wheels n tyres 1768
coolant temp sender 1868

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dumb Question - which is cylinder one? (for setting the timing)... right/left, front or rear spark plug.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems all my problems were due to a filthy fuel filter.
- Now it FEELS like an Alfa!!!

(What's the go with the 'T', I couldn't find it, without the car running like poop) What rev's should the timing mark be found? and do I set it to 'T', or is it the mark beyond? Advice...?
I couldn't sort out the timing, so did it by ear.

Now onto leaking slave cyclinders...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts