Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 166 back on the road and absolutely love driving it, only problem is I'm getting no sound on the stereo. The tape deck is broken and rejects tapes and its saying no cd player fitted when I press the CD button even though the changer is in the boot. This doesn't bother me too much as I'm planning on fitting an AUX connection soon instead. However, when I go on the radio, it picks up the stations but there's no sound coming out of the speakers. On the very odd occasion I get a split second of sound but that's it. Its not on mute and the left volume knob seems to have no impact and everything else except the phone seems to work. Has anyone come across this before and is there an easy fix? I don't want to buy the stuff for the aux connection if I have no sound. I've looked at replacing the unit but its very expensive. I wouldn't mind if there was an upgraded ICS that has aux, latest maps for the nav etc. but I'm not sure anyone sells them so if anyone has a way of fixing this without replacing the unit it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do you have a DSP amp in the boot?

Check whether the fuse on the backside of the ICS is in good condition and properly inserted. Bad connection there might cause a voltage drop as a cause of the described issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't find an amp in the boot but I do have the parcel shelf speakers which I believe might have been part of the DSP package. I'll take the ICS out at the weekend and have a look when I've got a bit more time.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You can tell if you have the DSP (or at least, if it is connected and working....) by seeing if you have the DSP options in the audio adjustment menu.

It sits on top of the battery cradle, on my car at least, it was top of the pile of DC, NAV and DSP. If you have it, it has it's own dedicated fuse next to it in the loom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those the options that say bass, treble, balance, fader etc. and have a cross with 4 speakers in either corner when you click on them? Another option in my settings menu is SDV

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
They sound like the standard options. I might be leading you astray anyway, even with a DSP fitted on my car, it played up after I removed then refitted it and the ICS didn't show the DSP options until it had sorted itself out.

As Eco said, check those fuses in the back of the ICS first.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Are those the options that say bass, treble, balance, fader etc. and have a cross with 4 speakers in either corner when you click on them? Another option in my settings menu is SDV
Ah yes - having SDV (Speed Dependent Volume) indicates that DSP is not fitted, or at least not working. So as others said, the next check is to see whether the DSP amp is located above the CD changer in the boot. You're looking for a black box smaller than the CD changer, with two white connectors and a finned heat sink.

If it is there, then either its (relatively fragile) blue plug connection to the back of the ICS has come unplugged, or the amp power supply has failed, or the amp is shutting down because of one or more shorted speakers (check the wiring to the subwoofer speakers in the rear shelf; sometimes their wires break in the speaker, try unplugging them), or the amp itself is faulty. The amp itself is not an especially expensive component to find second-hand.

If it is not there, so DSP was not fitted, then you probably have an ICS fault, cold comfort I know, but at that point I think I'd look for another ICS and keep the one you have for spare parts (the LCD backlight has been known to fail). I suppose my comments about possibly-shorted speakers still apply but it would be quite hard work to isolate/test each speaker individually (perhaps wiring into the door is frayed and shorting, etc.)

-Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts