Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct to say that 305mm set-up on a GTA does not have brake pad shims, whereas the 330mm set-up has them.

I red somewhere that one of the characteristics of shims is to reduce the heat transfer from discs/pads to brake fluid, minimising the possibility from overheating/boiling, and spungy brakes. That is why some manufacture titanium shims for ultimate application.

I bought DS2500 pads and DBA 4000 Slotted Discs for my 305mm set-up and I also bought 3m self adhesive tape/shims.

What should I do about the shims?
What have other done?

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I have carbon (claimed, but I cant see carbon mesh) shims on both my Galfer setup on TS and AP racing 355mm on GTA.

I never heard of shims being used because of heat transfer reasons, more because of eliminating brake squeel. The pad has a little play in the calliper and with high friction pads they tend to bite and let loose the disc. It is only hundreds of a mm movement of pad in caliper but causes the brake squeel. Shim is there as a layer between pad and caliper that absorbs this vibration of the pad.

At least this is what I was told....

In my case the shims were in a form of a sticker, composed of hard and soft layer, about 0,5 - 1mm thick. I stuck them onto the pad and cut the edges to be exactly the same size as pad.

I doubt that OEM alfa setup has shims as standard but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
No shims on my Brembo GT kit or Ferrari 360 Brembos. There are metal shims advertised on ebay.

I have seen in the US titanium shims which claim to provide a thermal barrier between the disc and caliper pistons.......they just look like a normal shim to me

These are for the 156 TS but they have for GTV Brembo too

http://tispeed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_65_273&products_id=60

This pic is of the shims from the 4 pot front calipers on my Landcruiser.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
These look totally different to mine, I guess I really have only some anti-vibration-squeel solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Thats exactly the same as I'm using on my DS2500 pads in my standard calipers but its made by 3M instead, it works very well and no squeaks - this is part of the original post from Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll just use the 3M adhesive shims and not worry about them beaing heat shield as such.

Is there a guide anywhere here as to how to change discs and pads on 305mm setup?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts