Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys can anyone help
engine light came on last week and went into limp mode yesterday engingine just stopped and would not start.
tried it this morning it starts but will not rev above tick over.
have any of you have any idea's

·
Registered
507 Posts
You'll need a bit more diagnostic info than that, have you got Fiat Ecu Scan, and an ELM cable? Might be able to tell you whats gone wrong..

failing that, call the AA out, they'll be able to interrogate the ECU to find out whats gone wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Moel
had this done when light came on last week did the EGR valve ran well after but now this problem, apparently my son spoke to a guy from our alfa dealers here and he said i need to reset the errors and should be ok after that. i have just recieved my ELM 1.5 code reader so i will do this on Thursday my day off, for now though i will freeze while driving my Lotus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Moel
had to get it in to the garage today still not running ??

16000 miles on the clock so this should not be happening.

out of warranty so it going to cost me.

let you know what it is when they fix it.

maybe before Christmas i will get it back.

any way you have a good Crimbo and new year,

·
Registered
507 Posts
16000 miles in 4+ years?

I suspect that might be your problem...

I'd say that your dpf is clogged to buggery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The light on my 2.4 came on few weeks back, garage said EGR valve/DPF fault. They cleaned the egr valve and reset warning light. Ran fine until this morning, light came on, lost power then struggled to get up a hill in 1st gear before dying on me. Won't start. RAC asked if it was smoking a lot which was correct and said the EGR valave has probably stuck open. Ordered a new one today so here's hoping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The light on my 2.4 came on few weeks back, garage said EGR valve/DPF fault. They cleaned the egr valve and reset warning light. Ran fine until this morning, light came on, lost power then struggled to get up a hill in 1st gear before dying on me. Won't start. RAC asked if it was smoking a lot which was correct and said the EGR valave has probably stuck open. Ordered a new one today so here's hoping.
Hi you would be better getting a remap instead of replacing it (speak to [email protected]), esp if the car is out of warranty. egr/dpf delete is a win/win, no faulty egr/blocked dpf's (less chance of breakdown!!) and more power and slightly improved fuel economy
Stu

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi stu,

Yes this is something I am definitely considering. Only problem is I'm 400 miles away from gus in Aberdeenshire. I was planning on driving down to get this done next June when the AA warranty was out.

I've ordered a new egr anyway to get it back up and running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like DPF fully blocked like mine was
i will be getting mine done in the new year, as i live in guernsey it would be too expensive to drive up to see Gus @ alfatune. he told me that all i need to do is send him my ECU and he will remap it and send it back with a straight thru pipe to replace the DPF all for £720 (Bargin) beats paying £1800 for a new DPF which will probably have to be replaced again in 12 months
good luck and a merry Christmas to you all

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this problem before about six moths ago and now I have it again, It's just had another new EGR valve fitted but it's still like a dead weight at low revs. This tells me it's going to break down again and there is more clogged up than just the EGR valve. A re-map sounds good to me. I will be contacting Alfatune for assistance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Car broke down again today. Dpf is fully clogged. So much so the car won't pull away in 1st gear!

Gonna have to get it removed and replaced with a straight through pipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts