Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone again...

I have just noticed a small issue with the car.
I have no reversing lights!

This is of course not a good idea! I have checked bulbs, and they are all OK.
I swapped the reverse bulbs for brake bulbs and all is OK.

The fog lights are on the same light cluster and they work fine.

I have checked fuses and all seem OK - what else could it be? or what else should I check?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
this is a problem with the connector or cable on the gearbox , i had the same problem turned out the wire had snapped in the connector , it is in the engine bay to the back of the battery stand , if it has snapped above the connector you may be able to solder or join , i had to replace the waterproof connector in the end as it snapped again , i found it easier to make the connector up with some spare wire and then splice to the existing wires as the space is a bit tight to work in

·
Registered
401 Posts
my reversing light is the same , been like it for ages, havent bothered fixing. Just try not to go backwards! lol

Current fault list (being ignored):
No reverse light (not an MOT requirement)
Rear elec windows need lubricating
Rear Wiper motor seizing up yet again

Best ignored :)

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
May be reversing light switch in gearbox. That can be checked by shorting out the +ve and -ve wires after disconnecting the lead. Make sure the link wire used is insulated and the ignition is to MAR and the car is in reverse.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Update....

I found the fault last night.
The car has a towbat fitted and some monkey boy installed the electrics and there was melted wires where the loom passes from the car to the boot lid, so I stripped back and repaired lots of wires last night with insulated connectors!!

I now have an issue that the fog lights come on when I put car into reverse as well as the reverse lights!!

I also get my reverse lights come on when I have rear fogson too!!!

I ear that there is another fault further down the loom - so - will need to be back seat out and trace the wires back I think!

You gotta love bodgers !!!! GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right everyone - I now have proper reversing lights and fog lights!

The switch form the gearbox is all good - but the attached pic is what the problem was!

The car is fitted with a towbar and some spark monkey wired it all in and it was a complete mess! the attached pic it what the issue was!!!!

I have now renewed all of the wires that go form the car through to the boot lid, with nice new solder, and heat shrink around all the joints.

All is well and the Alfa electrics live on, although this time it was down to some numpty who clearly cannot wire!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Good work! Thumbs up for heatshrinking the connections. Insulating tape only lasts a year or so. You did the job properly. Unlike the previous effort... :rolleyes:

I genuinely don't understand how people can do such careless work. I would feel too guilty afterwards, irrelevant of who owned the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts