Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having sold my V6 because it was just too much car (fuel) for the travelling I was doing I thought I would pitch in with my own V6 vs TS debate.
I could have kept both but as I have a W124 I saw no point.

For the V6.
It's faster, off the mark in a straight line.
Lovely sounding engine.
Power through every gear change.
A classic

Against the V6
The sound of the engine comes at a price, fuel.
Lots of fuel.
Not an every day car (this is my opinion)
Go easy round the bends, doesn't take prisoners.

For the TS
Chuckable round the bends.
Free revving comes alive after 2500rpm
Really good on fuel
On 17", feels planted.
everyday useable car.

Against the TS.
No V6 sound.
Not as fast as V6.
Cam belt change at twice the interval of the V6
Engine bay not as nice in standard form as the V6
Will not have the classic status as V6.

I've driven this car much more as an everyday car than the V6 because I haven't had to worry about fuel costs when going for a long blast.

Driving it home after picking it up from Hertfordshire, I cut across the M6 and took the A5 through to North Wales and keeping up with a boy racer (who, unlike myself, insisted on illegally overtaking at some points). At the roundabouts, I caught him and just sat behind him. I am aware that the V6 would have trounced him on the straights, and then kept going. But (like Dash in the Incredibles) where's the sport?
I've since taken it around the Wirral, simply because I can, and the free revving engine (it's got a nice exhaust note too) gives me the right amount of power I need on these type of roads.

My plan now is to sell the W124 and possibly use the funds to make this car sharper, but not necessarily faster.
In short, it will be perfect for me.
I found a phase 1 grill (?), touched it up with Matt Black Barbecue spray paint and changed the chrome one that was on there. The alloys are black as well, but on its own I think the grill looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Against the TS.
No V6 sound.
Not as fast as V6.
Cam belt change at twice the interval of the V6
Engine bay not as nice in standard form as the V6
Will not have the classic status as V6.

I agree with a couple of points but not the last one !!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I alternate between my TS spider for work and my V6 GTV, to keep them both running and discs clean etc. However, I don't have a fuel issue with my V6, and it is a complete miser with fuel, compared to say my 3.2 straight six Jaguar.
I am sure both the V6 & TS will attain (and already have)classic status, only IMHO the V6 will appreciate in value a lot faster.

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Both are great imo.

I had a TS GTV for 8 years and loved it.

Then I got the V6 Spider which I use as my everyday car - 44K miles in three years. With A Q2 fitted it is great around the twisties and I use any excuse to take it for a spin. I am lucky in that fuel is not a problem for me and I use the acceleration to the full.
I would (did at one point) have both but if I could only have one I would not hesitate - V6.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use my V6 everyday mostly motorway. Agree with a lot of what you say but I don't think it's that bad on fuel at all. If you put your foot down - yes, and around town- nightmare.

I prefer the chrome grill as it "frames" the mesh, without the chrome it looks like something's missing (Only my opinion)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Having owned both. I much prefere the TS. I've sunk £7k into mine over the last 18 months. It sounds superb, looks amazing and can keep up with any modern traffic without any issues.
In my experience the V6 was a bit too beastly and a bugger if you like to enjoy corners.
Great on the motorway but for real long distance cruising neither is any good.

400+ mile trips are best left to my merc.

I love the TS but couldn't do my mileage in that alone.

for me. TS vs V6.
TS wins

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Great on the motorway but for real long distance cruising neither is any good.
I have travelled 600 miles non stop (refreshment breaks excluded) in both (V6 and TS) - both were absolutely fine. I am intrigued that you say "neither is any good" - please elucidate.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Probably the wind and noise level in the 916, one thing I really enjoy on my 72mile a day Commute is when your sat in traffic and nearly everyone else are driving the same cars, bmw or audi nothing different or interesting.

Ts yeah not a motorway cruiser but on a country lane it's a different story.

The v6 is great on motorways, a bmw comes up and try's to push you over well we know how that ends lol! A little spec in your rear view mirror lol!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The first thing to say to illustrate the following observations is ....that I live in Cornwall. Because of what I do for a living, I have the opportunity to drive a variety of mainly classic British cars but also a fair few "exotics". I have owned a Montreal, various GTV6s, 156s of every description and a couple of 105s including a GTA replica. Every now and then I go into "Rehab" and take some time away from the addiction that is the curse of the Alfisti.
I have just bought another GTV (TS) and it is currently with (Top Bloke) Stuart Mansell at Umberleigh Garage for a few bits to be done.

I love the sound, look and power of the Busso but have to say that for sheer fun and grin factor, The TS wins hands down every time. If you are ever down this way in yer Alf you should try the thrash between Jamaica Inn and Golitha Falls because it is one of the best drives in the South West. Being a pathetic, should know better, GOG (Grumpy Old Git) I have timed the run in everything from a Lotus Elite (Climax engine) to a 450bhp, Sumiyaki prepared Mitsubishi.......The GTV TS is not quite the quickest but by golly it is certainly the most fun.

At my age I realise that I am never going to kayak down to the Mekon Delta, never going to tup Rachel Rilley, I will never again snort half a gramme of Columbia's finest after filliing a "7 Large" deal for penny shares (I wasn't always this ****-poor), I will never see Leyton Orient in the Premier League and it is unlikely that I will live to see the NHS survive......BUT.....I can take "Katie" out for some heavy footed fun over the local moors, knowing that she will look after me and I can arrive back to my delapidated cottage in the ****tiest village in Cornwall with a huge grin on my face and contentedly get back to doing the washing up and looking forward to watching Gogglebox and other such domestic bliss.

In the Busso......Naaah.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Horses for courses (written just after the Grand National) but it shows exactly why there was a choice of engines.

I think there is a place for them both, but agree a well set up twinnie is a gem

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read somewhere that it's not about how fast you go, but how you go fast!

Alibob, good post!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
PaulR said

I have travelled 600 miles non stop (refreshment breaks excluded) in both (V6 and TS) - both were absolutely fine. I am intrigued that you say "neither is any good" - please elucidate.

I love a good "elucidate".

Speaking as a guy in my mid forties, who's driven both V6 and several TS's on 400+ mile motorway cruises. Neither are anywhere close to being as good as other cars I've done the same journey in.
My current everyday car is an E-class 350 amg.
Before that a BMW 530 GT Msport.

Both far better for those long cruises to Cambridge and back in a day.
The Alfa's always make it but somehow I feel shagged after the first leg.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have always wanted a V6 GTV but whenever I drive my TS I always think how perfect its handling and balance is and how I wouldn't want to ruin it by adding more weight.

Perhaps one day, When I have the funds, I will do an engine transplant to a TS. 237bhp 1750 TBi with alloy block in a GTV anyone? Complete with Body computer, TCT gearbox and DNA selector of course :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You can get a good sound from a TS with a good SS exhaust. Fredie has a great sounding one on his TS. Spider I was behind it yesterday and it sounded :cool: The V6's exceleration is far superior, but you can certainly chuck a TS around which is so much fun. I guess you can't always have the best of everything in one package.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts