Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am just getting to know my 147 16v diesel I am finding that accealerating of up to 2000 revs is very slow then get to approx 2200 revs and away she goes - any idea's what this could be

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
EGR, almost certainly. Have a look at the 'how to' at the top of the board, good guide for removal and cleaning.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will get a look at that perhaps Saturday. Just purchased the E-learn manual so getting to know that also.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
try cleaning first and then blanking it off with a £3 plate off ebay. If there is no difference in power delivery, you've cleaned it properly and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
pretty sure blanking on a CF3 unit brings up errors, but yes, EGR valve would do this.

unbolt the EGR from the inlet but leave it connected to the car and then test with the software. you may find its completely stuck or at least sticking. clean it, clean it very well, then clean it again. don't clean it with WD40, you may as well urinate on a burning oil refinery (which I have done, incidentally) use proper carb cleaner or similar to do it with.

also check the VNT system on the turbo with software whilst engine is off. you want the VNT actuator arm on the turbo to be moving around 10mm if its not, or not moving at all then you are an airleak in the rubber vacuum tube and need to repair.

remember of course you can only test this with the engine off and it wont generate a vacuum so the more times you test this function the less effective the vacuum. if in doubt, fire the engine up, give it a slight rev and turn her off and repeat test. if its really not working them thats your issue.

good luck

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My 04 1.9 jtd has my home made blanking plate for the egr valve and whist fiatecuscan recognises an error i dont get any faults displayed by the instrument cluster.Perhaps check to see if the lower turbo hose has a small hole in it caused by close proximity of a large bolt sticking out of the gearbox the one with an earth lead attached.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even more things to do this Saturday:) Most is pointing to the EGR
Artermis what do you mean by check & test with the software? do you mean tests that I can run through the cars computer or that I can buy a lead and the software load it all to my laptop and plug it into the car and test/check. If so do you have any links to this info (running perhaps before walking possibly):cool:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Might be worth checking the rubber flexi between the turbo and the air filter, my 2.4 JTD was gutless at low revs when that split.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
pretty sure blanking on a CF3 unit brings up errors, but yes, EGR valve would do this.

unbolt the EGR from the inlet but leave it connected to the car and then test with the software. you may find its completely stuck or at least sticking. clean it, clean it very well, then clean it again. don't clean it with WD40, you may as well urinate on a burning oil refinery (which I have done, incidentally) use proper carb cleaner or similar to do it with.

also check the VNT system on the turbo with software whilst engine is off. you want the VNT actuator arm on the turbo to be moving around 10mm if its not, or not moving at all then you are an airleak in the rubber vacuum tube and need to repair.

remember of course you can only test this with the engine off and it wont generate a vacuum so the more times you test this function the less effective the vacuum. if in doubt, fire the engine up, give it a slight rev and turn her off and repeat test. if its really not working them thats your issue.

good luck
easy way to check VNT is to pull pipe off boost control solenoid from actuator and attach it directly to engine so you bypass control ...........then you have engine running and watch actuator moving as you fit tube you will see its full stroke :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Even more things to do this Saturday:) Most is pointing to the EGR
Artermis what do you mean by check & test with the software? do you mean tests that I can run through the cars computer or that I can buy a lead and the software load it all to my laptop and plug it into the car and test/check. If so do you have any links to this info (running perhaps before walking possibly):cool:
it seems that most are assuming that you have a cable and laptop with the correct software and know how to read codes from your ecu :rolleyes:

stick with the basics first. Clean it and see what happens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havn't got the software/lead - got the laptop though and I dial into machines at work so not completly foreign to this but yes BASICS FIRST.:)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts