Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a late ph1 2.0 gtv..

My heater van does not work at all, not on any speeds.

So far ive replaced the heater resister and also the heater controls and still nothing.

I have put a tester on the wiring to the fan and they is no power getting to it.

Is they any other fuses other than the one in the fuse box?

or does anyone know which wires i need to check from the heater control and resister to the fan?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Depends on whether you have aircon or not.

No aircon, fuse F13 ( 20A ) in the main fusebox.

If you have aircon there's another fuse to look at. It's G255 ( 30A ) and is located in the supplementary bracket at the driver's end of the main fusebox. It should be in a green holder.

Check that fuse ( if you have aircon ) and we can go from there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on whether you have aircon or not.

No aircon, fuse F13 ( 20A ) in the main fusebox.

If you have aircon there's another fuse to look at. It's G255 ( 30A ) and is located in the supplementary bracket at the driver's end of the main fusebox. It should be in a green holder.

Check that fuse ( if you have aircon ) and we can go from there.
Yes mine has air con, Found the fuse its ok, changed it anyway, still nothing. how does the heater fan work.... power to switch,to resister to fan?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The next things to check are the main fan relays.

Q15 & Q69 should be fixed to the heater unit. I'm not sure if the glove box needs to come out or not for this.

You need to turn off the a/c button and set the fan speed to 0. The easiest way to test a relay is to put a finger on it and see if you can feel a click with the ignition on and when you turn the speed control to on.

Repeat with the aircon selected and feel the relays when the key is turned. With aircon selected, the fan is always on at a minimum speed

If that's inconclusive, you'll need to test for power going to Q15. Q15 has two orange wires, a green wire and a black wire. Test the orange wires. At least 1 needs to be +12v with the key off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The next things to check are the main fan relays.

Q15 & Q69 should be fixed to the heater unit. I'm not sure if the glove box needs to come out or not for this.

You need to turn off the a/c button and set the fan speed to 0. The easiest way to test a relay is to put a finger on it and see if you can feel a click with the ignition on and when you turn the speed control to on.

Repeat with the aircon selected and feel the relays when the key is turned. With aircon selected, the fan is always on at a minimum speed

If that's inconclusive, you'll need to test for power going to Q15. Q15 has two orange wires, a green wire and a black wire. Test the orange wires. At least 1 needs to be +12v with the key off.
With the ignition on i can hear the relay click when i press the air con button, only issue is i cannot get to the relay as it is buried somewhere right at the back of the dash, even with half the car stripped down i cant get my hand on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bit of progress, I understand that it is a permanent live to the Fan motor and that the speed is controlled through the earth, so what i decided to do is to put a live supply onto the live wire to the motor and hey presto it works through the speed settings. as long i put an inline fuse (30amp) should i have an issue with it?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
That would certainly point to a problem with Q15.

A separate supply isn't really going to be an issue.

I think the two relays are on a bracket between the fan housing and the centre part of the dash. If you can find the bracket, you may be able to unclip it to access it.

No personal experience with it I'm afraid. My car didn't have aircon when built and the P2 climate control the car now has is totally different!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
One trick would be to fingertip trace the orange wire at the fan back to the relay. You should find the relay that way.

If I can remember where I put it, I'll try and find my P1 heater unit. It won't have the relays, but there should be some evidence of where the bracket mounts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would certainly point to a problem with Q15.

A separate supply isn't really going to be an issue.

I think the two relays are on a bracket between the fan housing and the centre part of the dash. If you can find the bracket, you may be able to unclip it to access it.

No personal experience with it I'm afraid. My car didn't have aircon when built and the P2 climate control the car now has is totally different!
Thanks for your help, I am far from a sparky but work on trailer electrics so have a general idea, Ive wired the fan directly from the 30 amp fuse with some good gage wire. just letting the fan run for 10 mins and checking the wire that its not getting hot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. What I've done is took a feed off the 30amp fuse and tapped it into the wiring to the fan motor. Works a treat. Only issue is that it's live all the time. Don't think it should be a problem.....

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You need to remeber to set the fan control to 0 else the fan motor will still run and discharge your battery
I think he'll be alright. Q69 controls the a/c fan always on feature and that relay is ( ultimately ) ignition controlled via the ignition supply relay*. The normal fan supply is permanently live.

* It goes from the supply relay, through the a/c switch and the into pin 7/8 of the fan speed control switch before exiting to Q69.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
As I read the message from alfagtvdodd then he has done a wire from the fuse to pin 2 of the fan motor.
If this is the case the fan motor will have permantly 12V and will be grounded through the control.
The motor will then always run if the control isn't set to 0 (Off)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
As I read the message from alfagtvdodd then he has done a wire from the fuse to pin 2 of the fan motor.
If this is the case the fan motor will have permantly 12V and will be grounded through the control.
The motor will then always run if the control isn't set to 0 (Off)
Yeah, I can see a path.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts