Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with this one?
I have no power and the accelerator pedal is useless until the revs eventually hit around 2500 revs, when suddenly the car hits you with a kick up the ****.
So im either driving so slow its dangerous, then spinning the wheels like a mad man.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Your EGR valve is stuck open and needs to be replaced (a 10 minute job as long as you do not drop the metal gaskets) - Do a search on "failing EGR valve"

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can anyone help with this one?
I have no power and the accelerator pedal is useless until the revs eventually hit around 2500 revs, when suddenly the car hits you with a kick up the ****.
So im either driving so slow its dangerous, then spinning the wheels like a mad man.:mad::mad::mad:
It could be that your EGR is stuck open.

or

It may be a problem with VGT valve regulation on turbine.
First check rubber vacum hoses from turbo to vacum pump (usualy they crack on cennections and leak vacum so VGT regulation on turbo is not working any more).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem except my car has no power under 2.000 rpm, when I had EGR problem the car had no power at all. My mechanic said it`s probalby the valve from turbine. I cleaned my EGR Valve around 10.000km (6.200 miles) ago. We`ll see after monday when I get my car back from service. and I can report after that what was wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for all the information. I will tell the mechanic this weekend. He told he cleaned the valve, but obviously it might need a new one. He is going to fit a new MAF sensor on Saturday. (He thinks it might be the problem). From what I have read on this thread, a leaky or cracked pipe to the turbo sounds a good source to investigate).
CHEERS everyone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cheers for all the information. I will tell the mechanic this weekend. He told he cleaned the valve, but obviously it might need a new one. He is going to fit a new MAF sensor on Saturday. (He thinks it might be the problem). From what I have read on this thread, a leaky or cracked pipe to the turbo sounds a good source to investigate).
CHEERS everyone.
Here you can see scheme with rubber pipes for VGT control that you need to check.

And this is how it looks like when that pipe cracks:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great pics, I will get the mechanic to have a look to see if I have a cracked pipe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the great pics, I will get the mechanic to have a look to see if I have a cracked pipe.
do it yourself is very easy and cheap!! I've got the same problem, no power under 2500 rpms and MSCF error. Sometimes you can't see holes, my was broken. I've paid 3 quid on ebay and replaced it in half hour. After that no errors and full power :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mechanic changed my MAF sensor and YES its worked, but he has found another problem. My intercooler and pipework is full of oil. DOH! He thinks it might need a new valve to stop the oil pressurising into the intercooler. Its the oil that broke the original MAF sensor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The mechanic changed my MAF sensor and YES its worked, but he has found another problem. My intercooler and pipework is full of oil. DOH! He thinks it might need a new valve to stop the oil pressurising into the intercooler. Its the oil that broke the original MAF sensor.
Brino,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

As I just posted in another thread, I've found lots of oil in my turbo to intercooler pipe and also upstream of the turbo where it has fouled the MAF (and ruined it).

Just wondered did you get a resolution.

Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Brino,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

As I just posted in another thread, I've found lots of oil in my turbo to intercooler pipe and also upstream of the turbo where it has fouled the MAF (and ruined it).

Just wondered did you get a resolution.

Thanks
Remove the pipe (from air filter to turbo) and see were the oil is coming from.
I'm my case is the breather pipe from head of engine the solution is to get a catch tank to put between the 2 or the hard way finding what is causing the oil going into the breather.
If you don't have oil coming from the breather remove the bottom pipe and check you turbo it may have worn bearings (that is going to cost to fix).

Good luck
Ric

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
oil in the intercooler pipe is normal

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like the oil has been overfilled. I guess the pressure is forcing oil/vapour down the pipe into the turbo intake and fouling the MAF.

I had never really noticed it before until I checked it again. I've taken out about 250ml to get it to the max. Hopefully this helps, will look at the turbo to intercooler pipe again to see how much oil has collected in the intercooler (I do expect there to be some, just not sodden with oil).

It's been about 9k since car was serviced, so I'll get the oil changed soon and to the correct level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts