Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no power below 2000 revs checked all hoses and egr is fuctioning, only the fact that it moves by hand , is there a test I can do with multiscan .There is no management light showing.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easier to blank it off physically and see if any performance improvement first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok will try that, I have recently bought an Italianspeed chip and. It's tending to pick out faults . There were no faults before, but now , no normal pickup after lift off. At junctions etc.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sounds like vnt hoses that you have checked already. Check again; Even if they look ok I'd replace them all anyway. The tiniest split will lose vacuum. Silicon ones cost less than a £10.
You can suck on the pipe at the bonnet catch to pull the solenoid plunger thing down and clamp the pipe to see if the vacuum holds if you want.
Maybe the chip things not such a great idea either. Is it easy to remove?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have no power below 2000 revs checked all hoses and egr is fuctioning, only the fact that it moves by hand , is there a test I can do with multiscan .There is no management light showing.
Diesel?

If so clean Egr and tmap sensor first.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes its Diesal , the chip is easy yes I can reconnect in seconds, but the chip works well above 2000. I will look for the pipe ,and perhaps check if theyare blocked as there was a lot of gunk in the bottom turbo hose when I renewed it.
I havent seen this pipe at the bonnet catch ,but will have another look , thanks.

Ok to return to this , I have pulled the hose off the solenoid (vnt)?, at the back of the engine filter and applied suction to it , the egr moves fine. The smaller pipe going up from the solenoid to the back of the engine , I think is clear. The trouble lies where it joins the solenoid, someone has broken the connecting tube where the small pipe connects by inserting a small roll pin which in itself has a slit down its , hence it being a roll pin, haha. So what I can see it was allowing to draw air to the egr pipe, tried to connect it badly but hasn't helped . I'm hoping this is where the trouble lies.
There is power to the solenoid, and it's noticeably warm after a while , it does not click when suction is applied , just whines a small amount.
So replacing this solenoid which is either the vnt or something else I'm embarrssed to say I don't know V something , can't quite remember, will resolve two issues . Am I talking about the right thing and where do I get it , --- only Alfa ?
Thanks for your help so far.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Ebay to the rescue again , these vacuum solenoid so are pricey!
I have vacuum to the solenoid while the engine ticks over , not a lot but that seems to be enough because joining the egr pipe to the small pipe going to the unit to the rear of the engine a actuates the egr, so all fine there.
Just waiting for the s/h solenoid to be delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok Ebay to the rescue again , these vacuum solenoid so are pricey!
I have vacuum to the solenoid while the engine ticks over , not a lot but that seems to be enough because joining the egr pipe to the small pipe going to the unit to the rear of the engine a actuates the egr, so all fine there.
Just waiting for the s/h solenoid to be delivered.
Replacement solenoid fitted and everything back to normal, well nearly normal , diesels just don't respond to early throttle like petrols , however the chip makes up for it .

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sounds like you are getting the egr and vnt mixed up unless the engine bay is very different to the 156. Seems like you've fixed something but generally when all is good there should be no turbo lag. Even below 2000 power should build steadily (not spectacularly) and there should be no smoke. It shouldn't feel like a turbo car from the eighties all that keeping on boost stuff has gone with the variable pitch vanes. Smooth power delivery across the revs is normal. Search vnt hoses on here and you'll find a picture. They are small diameter rubber hoses. On the 156 they can be found at the bonnet catch and then followed. I think there are 4 to swap with new silcon tubing and only one of them requires bendy arms and xray vision.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alfa+romeo+vnt+hoses&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&ei=YmeCV-iYB8zLgAaej6yoCg&start=40&sa=N#mhpiv=18

Think this is from a gt. The vnt solenoid is a round thing with a plunger in the middle. It sits low down at the front of the car by the turbo. Easiest to see from underneath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts